Burn Windows 7 To USB and Install on Mac? How?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by KidZgOtMac, Sep 12, 2011.

1. KidZgOtMac macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

How do I burn Windows 7 to my external hard drive or USB pen drive and how do I install it on my Macbook Pro. My university has the MSDN Academic Alliance and I get to download the software once for free. I really don't have any blank DVD around and the nearest electronics store isn't that close.

2. DESNOS macrumors 6502

Use Disk Utility:

1. Open Disk Utility
    2. Select the "Restore" tab
    3. Change the "Source" to the supplied image
    4. Drag the drive you want to restore to, onto the "Destination" box.
    5. Push the "Restore" button.

Note: If you don't want to lose the data on the drive, resize the current drive, and make a new partition. If you want to do that, I'll be glad to tell you how.

3. KidZgOtMac thread starter macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

English please? What drive? the current HDD I have on the MBP or the USB pen drive and How do I burn Windows to the USB drive? I have some files that I don't know what to do with them. When I finished downloading and went into the zipped file the list is as follows:

Folder named "boot"
    Folder named "efi"
    Folder named "Sources"
    Folder named "Support"
    Folder named "Upgrade"
    bootmgr
    bootmgr.efi
    setup.exe

Where do I find what I need to copy to the USB drive?

4. DESNOS macrumors 6502

Yes, the USB pen drive. Make sure you drag the item in the list that has the name of your drive and not the one that contains the size of the drive.

5. KidZgOtMac thread starter macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

6. DESNOS macrumors 6502

For some reason I thought you downloaded a disk image. My bad. You need to create a disk image from the folder containing the zipped files by going into disk utility and selecting "Disk Image From Folder" in the "new" menu, in the "File" menu. Then burn the created image as shown.

EDIT: Actually, that won't work... I thought microsoft would have given you a disk image to burn... This is far more complicated.

7. KidZgOtMac thread starter macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

lol, this sucks. Ok, so, what if I get a blank DVD? How do I burn that to the DVD or make an ISO.

8. DESNOS macrumors 6502

This probably won't work, but try formatting the thumb drive as "MS-DOS" and copy the files in the unzipped folder (not the zip itself) onto it, then try to boot from it. If that doesn't work, then copying the files in the unzipped folder (not the zip itself) to a blank DVD would probably work.