Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skwij

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2006
Belleville, ON, Canada
This might sound a little strange, but a friend/coworker of mine got a 17" iMac a few months ago, and STILL isn't on the 'net! The way she procrastinates, I doubt she will be online for a while yet.

What I'm wondering is, is there any way for me to grab the updates, burn them to DVD/CD and give them to her?

She's still on 10.4.6, and I'm sure iTunes, Quicktime, and a slew of other apps need updating. Not to mention the security/wireless updates!

Thanks in advance :apple:

skwij

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2006
Belleville, ON, Canada
Fabulous! Thanks!

I had no idea these were actual burnable files, as I've always just updated, and had it go on in the background.

Mucho appreciated, thank you so much :D

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Fabulous! Thanks!

I had no idea these were actual burnable files, as I've always just updated, and had it go on in the background.

Mucho appreciated, thank you so much :D
Actually, you can tell Software Update to only download the packages (.pkg) and not install them. I'm not a Mac right now so I can't tell you where in the menu it is.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Actually, you can tell Software Update to only download the packages (.pkg) and not install them. I'm not a Mac right now so I can't tell you where in the menu it is.

Run Software Update and choose from the update menu, either download only or install and keep package so that you can burn all your new updates for your friend as well. Not sure where it puts the keep package one. Also helpful if you have 2 or more Macs, so you don't double download large files. As far as past updates, go to Apples site and download them. You can find out what you have installed on your machine by selecting preferences from Software Update and click on the Installed Updates tab. Has a log list by date.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Run Software Update and choose from the update menu, either download only or install and keep package so that you can burn all your new updates for your friend as well. Not sure where it puts the keep package one. Also helpful if you have 2 or more Macs, so you don't double download large files. As far as past updates, go to Apples site and download them. You can find out what you have installed on your machine by selecting preferences from Software Update and click on the Installed Updates tab. Has a log list by date.
The packages go in /Library/Packages.

skwij

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2006
Belleville, ON, Canada

Good to know, although it's not an issue for me. I always manually check Software Updates, rather than letting stuff "just happen" (holdover from the Windoze daze ;) ). She's gonna be on dialup, probably, as she can't find DSL/Cable, or even wireless where she lives.

Now to instruct her on how to do her end of things (total n00b, about 5 hours on a PC, total, and now the iMac :p ).

EDIT: rolandg, thanks also for your input! My macs are up to date, so software update didn't find anything. I just needed the actual files to copy for my friend so she can update her iMac.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Good to know, although it's not an issue for me. I always manually check Software Updates, rather than letting stuff "just happen" (holdover from the Windoze daze ;) ). She's gonna be on dialup, probably, as she can't find DSL/Cable, or even wireless where she lives.

Now to instruct her on how to do her end of things (total n00b, about 5 hours on a PC, total, and now the iMac :p ).
Best to burn those updates if she's on dial-up.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Yeppers, got that covered! She's Intel, I'm Intel, and I'm only doing Universal updates. Thanks for the reminder, though!
I believe that there was one update that was called "Universal" but was Intel only. That was more then likely resolved a few months ago when it happened though.

skwij

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2006
Belleville, ON, Canada
Done and done, even with burning at 8X as I didn't want to risk disc errors (btw I burned to CD, as I don't know if her iMac has a combo-drive).

Gotta love DSL for downloading!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.