Burned by iOS7 - lol

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sandman1969, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Well my sister-in-law who is on our plan just bought her friends iPhone 4, who just got an iPhone 5. She was using a 3GS that handed down to her from her mother who we gave one of our old 4s for for Christmas last year.

Ok 3GS backed up, though little to my knowledge the iCloud account was set to her mother's old email hey don't have access to anymore.

So I merrily go to restore the settings to the new iPhone 4 which was already on iOS7, cool right...
    Well go to configure iCloud for her and can't since they (her or her mother) don't know that old password, and don't have access to the old verizon email.

Nice security feature that iOS7 adds is you can't wipe the phone without the iCloud password. So we are basically screwed, until I get to try to talk to Apple when I get a chance.

And when she set the old verizon based email iCloud account, her birthday was not entered correctly. So can't even use reset password using security questions.

The sister-in-law can use the phone for what she needs but iCloud - find my phone etc will not be available until I can see what apple can do.

Stupid security.... well good, but this time not so much... :confused:

2. g4manimac macrumors 6502

I had a similar? Well kinda?ok well my boss sold me his so sons old iPhone 4 and his son 13 had forgot the password but I seen the phone was on 6.1.3 so I knew I could get around the password by doing a dfu restore.Well I put it in dfu and I must have pressed update instead of restore and it UPDATED to a activation locked iOS 7 iPhone 4 and was utterly useless but long story short my boss went outta his way o help me and with all the proper I.D and stuff he was able to get the apple store to get it cleared.

3. Sandman1969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

I am hoping a call to Apple will be able to help, or will a trip to a store be required to physically do the wipe?

The phone works fine minus icloud functionality. Sure wish she knew the old password. I had no idea it was setup with her old email address.

I like the security of that, but in hindsight.

Would there be anyway to wipe it outside of the phone and iTunes? Like with iExplorer or maybe a jailbreak image, and then restore her 3GS that I was able to setup with a proper new iCloud account for her?

4. taran420 macrumors 6502a

call apple and go through security to update email and then reset your password.

5. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

I'm confused... :D

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

iOS7 didn't burn you, your relatives who can't remember basic information did.

7. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

Yes the thing is most people will create these accounts and not even use them. We have to realize no one is responsible for our personal accounts but ourselves. You will have to probably jump through hoops to get this reset. Good luck

8. dave420 macrumors 65816

Yea I do expect many people to have this issue. I'm sure there will be many threads in the future about it, and I'm sure many of them will break down into people accusing the poster of stealing the phone.

iOS 7 does require you to enter the password before the activation lock is enabled, so somebody knew this password within the last 5 weeks. So the original poster simply needs to find that person to enter the password again. It's not like this account hasn't been used in years, it was used within the last 5 weeks.

9. Sandman1969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

My wife's mother and her sister are on our plan. Her mother had the 3GS. I upgraded the wife to a 5s and we gave her mom her old 4s. So in turn we gave her sister her mom's old 3GS, which apparently was still tied to her mom's old icloud account which was using an email address she no longer has access to. They both moved in with us, whole other story, so we gave her new email accounts.

Yup I agree with this. However, if I looked at her 3GS and noticed that it was tied to an old email account I could have fixed it before restoring her settings to the new iPhone 4 her sister just bought from a friend who just got a 5s.

That last statement, as far as I could tell is not true. As far as someone accessing the account in the last 5 weeks.

It was setup on the 3GS with that account, and apparently things were getting backed up, however, as that was already setup it wasn't prompted for password. Especially, since they don't use that account.

When I setup the new 4 with iOS7 already on it, it did not prompt me for the old icloud account's password during activation. It just prompted to pick which backup to restore from. Once it was restored with that backup, I could then not delete that old icloud account. It never asked me for that apple account. It did prompt me for their other apple id they use for app purchases.... which I had.

10. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular