Burned capacitor on my Cube Sonnet Processor board

Wouter3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
Netherlands
When I switched on my Cube I heard a puff and smoke coming from the case. I could easily locate the problem as the smell of burned electronics directed me. Capacitor C102 on the Sonnet Encore ST G4 daughterboard has burned out, while the adjacent capacitor C95 is somewhat blackened.
Would anyone of you have schematic of this board with the specs of this component so I can replace the it. It might be worth saving my 1GHz CPU board.
IMG_0674.jpeg

Last edited:

Wouter3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
Netherlands
This is indeed a very similar board. Only a bit faster. I await responses, also from Sonnet, to see if my board can be repaired. If it is only the capacitor that needs to be replaced, it would be a lot cheaper then buying another board.

Wouter3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
Netherlands
Just got this reply from the Sonnet Support Team:
"Those capacitors are 220uF,10V, 20%, case E Tantalum polarized capacitors. We don’t see the + sign on the silkscreen, but it the right side of the parts as shown. You can tell because it has a little nib on the + (anode) side.

These look like Sprague/Vishay conformal caps; I would recommend looking for AVX Tantalum caps as replacements; a bit more expensive, but better parts. You can find lots of caps at Digi-Key or Mouser".

Very helpful. I will first try to repair the capacitor(s), before to embark on buying another one.

Reactions: RhianB and AphoticD

AphoticD

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2017
Australia
Wow. Kudos to Sonnet for their comprehensive response.

Try getting an answer like that out of any big manufacturer... Typically the answer would be: “Your product is obsolete and no longer supported. Too bad.”

RhianB

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2016
505 USA
Agreed. Talk about service way after the fact. Kudos to Sonnet.

On a side note, does anyone have a video that shows the process for replacing a cap of that style?

Reactions: AphoticD

RhianB

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2016
505 USA
Awesome thankyou. I’ve done a lot of soldering repair work but focused on analog tube/valve amplifiers, cabs & guitar/bass harnesses.

Alas, These audio dinosaurs are not circuit boards which is very much a different animal in method & approach so the video assist is helpful.

Thanks again - didn’t mean to hijack your thread. Best of luck on your repair! :cool:

Reactions: AphoticD

weckart

macrumors 601
Nov 7, 2004
Wow. Kudos to Sonnet for their comprehensive response.

Try getting an answer like that out of any big manufacturer... Typically the answer would be: “Your product is obsolete and no longer supported. Too bad.”
I got exactly that response from Sonnet. More to the point, they no longer had any legacy Macs to troubleshoot with.

Wouter3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
Netherlands
Finally the capacitor, according to Sonnet specs, arrived. I have soldered it in and the processor board works again. I would like to say that this burned capacitor was most probably caused by my malfunctioning Apple cinema display and not by the quality of the Sonnet components. The display has given problems in other areas and is replaced. The Cube is running stable again :)

DearthnVader

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Finally the capacitor, according to Sonnet specs, arrived. I have soldered it in and the processor board works again. I would like to say that this burned capacitor was most probably caused by my malfunctioning Apple cinema display and not by the quality of the Sonnet components. The display has given problems in other areas and is replaced. The Cube is running stable again :)
Good work!

I'd have wrote it off as a lose and tried to find a replacement CPU. My surface mount soldering skills being what they are.

JOY!peffPWPC

Wouter3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
Netherlands
I was lucky it this capacitor was the only component that so obvious blew up and nothing else. Otherwise finding the culprit would have been very difficult.