Burned CD info?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ti2ibal1, Oct 8, 2008.

1. ti2ibal1 macrumors member

Hey all, I just picked up my first Mac last weekend and am feeling my way through it.

I burned a music CD tonight using iTunes. Everything seemed to go well until I tried to eject it after it was done burning. I had to minimize all my windows and hit the eject key a few times. It finally came out.

After getting it ejected, I re-inserted it into the slot. It made the typical "click-clunk" noise and I heard the drive spin. It's not showing anything on the desktop, though.

Where do I have to go, or what do I have to do in order to view what's on the CD?

Sorry for the remedial question, but I'm trying my best to do what I can on my own.

Mike

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Apple made a change back in 10.4.9 where you had to hold down the Eject key for a few seconds to eject. I believe this was to prevent accidental ejections. It was just an instant eject before.

If the CD isn't mounting onto the desktop you can take a look at /Volumes but I'd give Disk Utility a try first.

3. ti2ibal1 thread starter macrumors member

Gave Disk Utility a shot and it came up with an error. Something about a "node tree". :confused:

Can anyone recommend another application for burning .mp3 CD's? I've never used iTunes and don't really care for it TBH.

Thank you Eidorian for your quick reply.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Sounds like a bad disc to me. Did iTunes throw up any error when burning? Are you having any problems burning data discs?

5. ti2ibal1 thread starter macrumors member

This would be the second brand of disk I've tried. The first was Memorex and the Mac would read it and spit it right back out. End of story.

This disk is a Maxell. It was burning just fine and I "Spaced" over to FireFox to check this forum. While browsing, I heard a chime of sorts and went back to iTunes. I assumed it was done so I tried ejecting it. This is where I'm at now...

Perhaps it had an error and I didn't realize it. I haven't attempted burning any data discs, yet. What application would I use in order to do that? I know when I load a blank CD-R, it shows nothing on the desktop.

I'm trying to be as detailed as possible. I hope that helps.

Mike

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Try inserting the gray Mac OS X Installer DVDs that came with your computer or another commercial disc. It's sounding more like a bad drive then media.

7. ti2ibal1 thread starter macrumors member

I did what you suggested and it worked fine. I grabbed a handful of DVD's and some music CDs and tried them all and they all worked fine.

I guess I'll go buy another brand of CD-r. It's a good thing my desk top isn't this picky. I would be pretty upset having a desk full of blanks that I can't use in this thing.