Burned dual-layer DVD won't play anywhere

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jywv8, Jun 5, 2007.

1. jywv8 macrumors 6502

I am trying to make a backup of a DVD that I own. I've backed up many DVDs before, but I always used DVD2oneX to compress the disc image down to < 4.7GB before burning (to fit it onto a single-layer DVD-R). However, I recently purchased some DVD-R DL discs, so this time I want to burn a dual-layer disc to avoid compression. I'm having problems.

I used MacTheRipper (full disc extraction) to rip the DVD to my hard drive. I end up with the usual VIDEO_TS folder. Then I used DVD Imager to make a disc image out of the VIDEO_TS folder. Apple's DVD Player can read the VIDEO_TS folder produced by MTR and the one on the disc image just fine. Everything looks great.

So then I used Disk Utility to burn the disc image to my DVD-R DL at 2x (media is rated 4x) using my Pioneer DVR-109 burner. When I put the disc into my stand-alone DVD player (which has never had a problem reading my single-layer DVD-Rs), it wouldn't read it. When I put the disc back into my Mac, it said "You inserted a blank DVD. Choose an action from the pop-up menu or click Ignore."

Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

2. jywv8 thread starter macrumors 6502

More...

I've also tried make a disc image with Toast (version 8.1) and burning that with Toast. And I've tried burning a "DVD DL" with Toast directly from the VIDEO_TS folder. Nothing works. Help...

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

1. Make sure the disc gets finalized
    2. Make sure you're burning in UDF format.

Also, Toast (and Disk utility) won't correctly copy a CSS protected disc.

4. jywv8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Almost...but no

So I updated the Firmware to 1.58 and tried to burn another disc with Toast. This one played fine on my Mac. When I do a Get Info on the disc, it says "Format: Universal Disk Format". Toast's disc info also tells me it's UDF.

I thought I was home-free, but my stand-alone DVD player choked on the FBI warning screen (got an error message saying "check disc").

I don't think I've ever burned a bad CD or (single-layer) DVD before. So, either my DVD drive is going wonky or my media is crappy (RiDATA DVD-R DL) or my DVD player is not compatible (only 3 years old, though). Oh well. I now have $8.00 worth of coasters.

If anyone has successfully burned a DVD-R DL with a Pioneer DVR-109 drive, let me know how you did it and what media you used.

5. jywv8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Success!

After reading up on "book types", I decided to try burning to a DVD+R DL. I bought the cheapest brand (RiDATA DVD+R DL) from my local computer store. And it worked! Both my computer and DVD player can play the disc. When I look at the disc info in Toast, it says the book type is DVD-ROM. I think that is the difference (as to why this one works in my DVD player).

What's weird is everything I've read about the Pioneer DVR-109 says you need to use the Buffalo firmware to automatically set the book type on DVD+R media to DVD-ROM. But I am using the "standard" firmware.

Mystery solved. Hopefully all this information help someone else at some point.