Burned DVDs wont play in my DVD player

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DaHumorist, Jul 14, 2008.

1. DaHumorist macrumors newbie

Hey everyone! Here's my problem.

I'm trying to start burning DVDs for home viewing.
    I have a Mac that runs OSX 10.5.2.
    I ripped the DVD using MacTheRipper, then compressed it using DVD2oneX2, then I burned it to a Sony DVD-R using Burn. It plays fine in the computer via DVD Player, but when I attempt to play it on my personal DVD player (Insignia brand), it won't play. I believe the error was "Unknown Disc". I really don't know what, if anything, I'm doing wrong. According to the packaging, my DVD player should play DVD-Rs so its not that. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks

2. chscag macrumors 68000

What format are you using to burn the DVDs? "Burn" supports many different formats some of which are not compatible with DVD players like the Insignia.

Open the Help file in "Burn" and read the section (it's in HTML) on burning and formats.

Regards.

3. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Try burning a copy with DVD2oneX2. Discs burnt with it never give me any problems, they even play in my six year old Philips DVD player.

4. DaHumorist thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll definately take those two suggestions into account when I get home later.

Also, I just finished downloading Toast Titanium 9. Would you guys suggest I use that instead?

5. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Yes.

6. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Toast is alright, although...

1) it isn't worth the price

and

2) when I bought it it was advertised as being "only $79.99" but it was only vaguely stated in the fine print on the rebate form that that was only if you UPGRADED. I contacted Roxio within the time frame to receive a refund and received no response.

Stick with DVD2oneX2!