Burned enough to lose the passion...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lowonthe456, Jan 23, 2011.

1. lowonthe456 macrumors 6502

Hey gang

I've been into vw's for a while. Owned my first one in 05, traded it for an 06 gti in early 06. God I loved that car. All I ever did to it was suspension work... It was a lease and during the time I had it I got divorced and sold my house. The lease was up in feb 2010 and I handed it back.

In the meantime, my shop of choice was building a mk2 (1991) gti. When done I bought it. Turns out it had a lien on the title. A yeR of lies brought to this week. I need to pay ~1900 to release the lien.

Honestly I feel I've lost the passion. I'm out over 5000 so far, so I lose less by paying the lien....but I'm at the point where I'm thinking of not paying it, selling the car as a rolling parts car and getting a pick up/non project car. It pains me, but I'm so soured by being scammed...

Anyone have thoughts or opinions...maybe in a similar position figuratively?

2. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

2 thoughts:

1. if the shop who sold it to you didn't mention the lien you may be able to sue them since they essentially screwed you over
    2. don't buy VW. They make crappy cars in general. I don't touch the stuff and not only because they're German

3. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

VW makes some fantastic cars, they might not make it to 100,000 miles without stuff other than oil changes, but they are still fantastic little cars.

Don't start with that "But xx brand is more reliable!" BS.

4. lowonthe456 thread starter macrumors 6502

The point isn't vw's, the point is I will have the 1900 next week....but feel like I've lost the passion for it. I had it all lined up to get paint and body work done later this year, wheels next year and a complete interior retrim the year after that.

But honestly, I'm so soured that I may just take the loss and get a non project.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

My 2009 GTI has been flawless. I love that car. There is nothing wrong with German cars now, their quality has vastly improved over the years.

6. lowonthe456 thread starter macrumors 6502

The idea behind this thread has no regard to cars or whatever, its something you arer passionate about, and then getting scammed/burned to the point where you have resentment and a loss of passion/dedication for this particular thing.

7. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

My Macbook. I bought it in 2007. The battery died completely around 2009. The condition of the new battery I got is "Replace Soon" and I get maybe an hour of battery life. The plastic case is sharp and is falling apart, and it's been replaced because the previous case was falling apart. The hard drive died. Its replacement hard drive died within a week. All of these are known problems. My dad's 2005 iBook still has its original battery, is easy to take apart, and does not stab me in the wrists, but it seems Apple no longer cares about quality control.

My next laptop will probably be a ThinkPad. If I can't get OS X installed onto it, then so be it.

8. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

The non-Unibody MacBooks were not really built for the long haul. Of all the MacBooks I administer I've had maybe half a dozen hard drive failures and numerous cracked top cases. My own black MacBook has held up pretty well, but I really baby it.

The newer Unibody MacBooks, as well as the 13" MacBook Pros, are a huge improvement.

Now if there is a laptop line whose build quality has declined significantly over the years, it's the ThinkPad.

Oh, and our 2000 VW Cabrio GLS is holding up just fine, thanks. I do know plenty of people who had Jettas and Passats from that era who had plenty of problems, though - I think VW had problems with the 1.8L engines at the time, whereas the Cabrios used a different, 2.0L engine.

9. lowonthe456 thread starter macrumors 6502

mine runs great, but its not titleable unless i cough up 1900. I already paid 4000 and for the last almost year i had to buy a beater car while all this got worked out....nothings being worked out and I have to pay or part and sell. I'm so damn frustrated that i no longer even want the car....

I've been laughed out of the local forum and I'm so angry i could vomit...they basically got away with fraud at my expense and i have a hard time with that

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I've never been burnt that badly with something I have a passion for, I have just spent a fair chunk of change on an electric viola that I'm hoping will suit me. I'm very particular about my stringed instruments so there's a slight concern that it just won't feel or sound quite as I like.

I had a similar load of issues with my white macbook, it was a really poor design that didn't hold up over time. It still lasted me 4 years despite bits literally falling off when it finally kicked it.

Things have improved since then, unibody models are rock solid. Mine has stood up to abuse far better than my old iBook did.

11. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

A Microsoft OS is more reliable. Paper cups - far more reliable. Basically anything is far more reliable. No need to even mention cars here.

Lmao. Your GTI is 1 year old. When you have 150K on it and it's 10+ years old and you've done nothing but basic maintenance on it, THEN and only THEN you can start talking reliable. One year hardly proves a car reliable. Even a modern Kia/Hyundai can do that with ease.

Which reminds me, I got to sit in a brand new 2009 GTI last year. Had 1000 miles on it. If it was up to me I'd rather walk than sit in a VW but had no choice sadly since I was with friends. Anyway - $25K car with the most idiotic interior colors I've ever seen. The blue/red dashboard was so horribly disco I just wanted to find out what mental institution its designers came from. The seats had cloth upholstery (for that much it should've been leather) with weird flowery patterns. It just screamed loony bin. Generally I don't care much for interiors so it has to be really good or really bad for me to notice it all. This one was the latter. I didn't get to drive it and after that ride I'm happy that's the case.

12. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I've never driven anything but a VW since I acquired my license. I'm 30.

The 4 cars I have owned:
    1974 Super Beetle
    1988 Cabriolet
    1987 Jetta
    2000 Beetle TDI

My father purchased a diesel Rabbit off the lot in 1980. He eventually purchased another one of a later year and owned the two simultaneously. Between the two of those Rabbits, he accumulated over 500,000 miles.

The trick to a successful VW ownership is finding a GREAT mechanic. Not a good mechanic - a GREAT one. The mechanic I use is the same guy my dad found 30 years ago. He takes excellent care of me and his customers, never does shoddy or dishonest work, and is a pleasure to do business with.

13. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I cite my father's VW polo, it's as old as I am (22) has never required anything but basic maintenance and it still runs just fine.

The thing is indestructible, I suspect VWs are just a lot more reliable in europe, they seem to have quite a disparity in reputation.

14. leontief macrumors member

See the previous message Re. mechanics, most in the U.S. are ignorant hacks.

15. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

That's why VW was ranked 2nd to last in either quality or reliability this year (JD Power)? My parents finally dumped their Touareg after years of unreliability.

They're not reliable and not cheap to fix.VW did make extremely solid cars in the early 90's though.

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

A brand new Impreza STI doesn't come with leather (unless you got the Limited in '07). Which is a good thing, because leather doesn't grip clothing very well.
    Meanwhile, other makes (Honda, Subaru) can last long even under abusive conditions, without a genius working under the hood.

17. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

Are you taking legal action against the shop?