BURNED Power Supply MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wightstraker, Jan 10, 2008.

1. wightstraker macrumors regular

Last night my roommate was using his 15" MBP when, oddly enough, he smelled something burning. Minutes later he noticed (fortunately before touching it) that the rubber casing on his power supply had burned through and the wire was exposed.

This obviously isn't normal. He was plugged into a surge protector, his battery was charging normally, and he wasn't doing anything abnormal - just browsing the web. Nothing had shorted out. He called apple today and was told that this was not their responsibility and insinuated that it was the result of his own "abuse" of the power supply.

Personally I think Apple is full of it on this one. It's not normal for a power supply to melt in the middle of normal use.

I need your advice. Have any of you experienced or heard of anything like this before? Any ideas on how to deal with Apple? Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

2. Billy Bob macrumors regular

It happens on all of them sooner or later

3. wightstraker thread starter macrumors regular

He's had this laptop and power supply for a year. Does an $80 power supply really crap out after 12 months?

Also, isn't there a safety concern here? I don't care if a power supply stops working after a couple years. But burning and melting through the wiring? Someone could have gotten shocked, or a fire could have started. This is not a normal way for a power supply to die.

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

This was a known problem with the older ones. Apple redesigned them a few months ago with thicker insulation.

5. wightstraker thread starter macrumors regular

So a fault was admitted implicitly. Then why is Apple telling my roommate to go f*** himself?

6. Billy Bob macrumors regular

Oh come now, the problem can't possibly be the all mightly apples fault.

7. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

If you're able I'd try taking it to an Apple store. I usually find that if you are able to sit down with an employee and they can see the problem for themselves it really makes things a lot easier.

8. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

What was plugged into his USB ports?

What, if anything, was he running off the MBP usb ports ??

9. wightstraker thread starter macrumors regular

Nothing. Why?

10. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

If you have to, threaten a lawsuit with Apple and/or report them to the BB. This is a known serious issue and Apple SHOULD have issued a recall on the old power supplies.

11. Makosuke macrumors 603

I had this happen to an early MBP 17" power supply, but when I walked up to the Genius Bar it took the Genius all of five seconds to grab me a replacement, no questions asked. I'm a little surprised that phone support is giving people the runaround on this, given that it was a definite issue with the early ones.

I have admittedly been a lot more careful since then, but even though the replacement doesn't look much different it hasn't shown any wear in slightly over a year of use.

(Note: Since caution never hurts, putting the little clip as close to the magsafe connector as you can and folding the cord back on itself into a little finger-length loop seems to provide some strain relief.)

12. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

I hope that was sarcastic!