Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wangthesher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2009
Hi!

Not sure if I'll be able to get an answer on time, but I'm trying to make a dvd playable using DVDSP. The movie file I have is apple pro res 422 HQ, and is 2 hours and 35 minutes long. I need to fit this onto a single layer 4.7GB DVD-R.

According to DVDSP manual, it seems like if I lower bit rate enough (down to 2.1 mbps!) the video should fit, but I'm concerned because on the DVDSP tool bar display it says estimated file size is 6.7GB. I created the project, set lower bit rate and clicked burn, and it seems to be working (in the encoding process now), but I'm on a tight deadline and can't afford to wait a few hours to find out the file might not fit onto the DVD.

Anyone know a sure-shot way of burning a movie at this length and size onto single layer dvd as dvd playable?

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
Hi!

Not sure if I'll be able to get an answer on time, but I'm trying to make a dvd playable using DVDSP. The movie file I have is apple pro res 422 HQ, and is 2 hours and 35 minutes long. I need to fit this onto a single layer 4.7GB DVD-R.

According to DVDSP manual, it seems like if I lower bit rate enough (down to 2.1 mbps!) the video should fit, but I'm concerned because on the DVDSP tool bar display it says estimated file size is 6.7GB. I created the project, set lower bit rate and clicked burn, and it seems to be working (in the encoding process now), but I'm on a tight deadline and can't afford to wait a few hours to find out the file might not fit onto the DVD.

Anyone know a sure-shot way of burning a movie at this length and size onto single layer dvd as dvd playable?

I've never used DVDSP, so this advice might be useless, but you also need to make sure your Audio is encoded at a lower bitrate. I would be surprised if this isn't possible....make sure your audio is set to encode MPEG2 audio instead of AIFF/PCM and make sure it is simple 2 channel stereo, at a low bitrate... say 192kbit.

wangthesher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2009
Thanks huntercr! Anyone know how to lower audio bit rate in DVD Studio Pro? I only got a general bit rate option when I went to Preferences.

surfmadison

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2008
This is possible

Just lower the bit rates. Start with Apple's 120 minute default settings, copy it, change the name and lower the bit rates. I fit 3 hour plus videos on DVD no problem.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
You'll actually get a lot more flexibility with adjusting your the audio and video bitrates in Compressor. Just drop the ProRes file into Compressor and start with the 150-minute DVD preset. You'll want to duplicate that preset and turn down the bitrate a bit to get 155 minutes (it'll probably be around 3.4Mbps average). Once the preset is saved, drag that into the job. That will take care of the video portion...

Now, you'll want to add the audio. Click the little "+" sign in the batch window where the video file is and drag the default Dolby Digital Professional 2.0 setting in there. That will create an AC3 audio file with a much smaller footprint than AIFF.

Finally, drag a Destination setting (Destination tab under Settings) to both the video and audio jobs. You can use a default one or create a custom path. When those are placed in, you can submit the job (Submit button). Once the encoding is finished, you can actually import the resulting video (.m2v) and audio (.ac3) files into DVDSP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.