Burning 6 movies to one DVD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macsForLife, Oct 15, 2008.

1. macsForLife macrumors member

macsForLife

Hey guys, I have all of Top Gear season 11 (6 episodes), and each one is ~700 MB. I made a great title page in iDVD, and have everything working (It took a while, lol), and now I want to burn it, and of course I forgot that it doesn't matter if its a 50x50 pixel clip, if its long enough you can't fit more than a certain amount. Now of course, it will fit based on the file sizes, 6*700 is about 4.2 gigs, plus the other stuff, it comes to about 4.45 or something. Each one is roughly an hour long. I would love to put it all on one disc, the native quality is pretty good, its not like it has to be encoded to put only one per disc, if I could get all 6 on there it would look fine. How can I do this? I need this disc by tomorrow, so any answers would be great!

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You could fit it on one single DVD disc. A dvd is 4.7, 4.8 GB. If that doesn't work, just buy a dual layer, which has 9gbs.

3. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Not do it in iDVD? You could always just burn a folder containing each episode along with a copy of the player program. It won't play in a dvd player, but it's something.

As far as I know, iDVD doesn't care about how long your clips are, only how much space they take up. Perhaps you're taking up too much space. I know it shows less than 4.5GB, but there are always overheads, try taking something out.

Another thing is iDVD has a limit of 99 tracks, and each item, menu, and slideshow might use several tracks each, putting you over the limit.

hope that helps.

4. macsForLife thread starter macrumors member

macsForLife

Yeah, I kinda want it to play in a dvd player. It says that the project size is 20.097 gigs, which I think what it will be after it is burned, if it is encoded at the regular rate, but all the files together are around 4.2 gigs. I read something about converting them to dvd files and then burning, does anybody know about this?

5. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

If you can get hold of Visualhub (great app, but it's been discontinued by the dev) it can author up to 18 hours of video to a single dvd. You might be able to pick up a copy somewhere.

Here's the website for what it's worth

6. macsForLife thread starter macrumors member

macsForLife

Thanks so much, I'll see if I can torrent it, downloading a discontinued program isn't steeling is it? :confused: