Burning a Blu Ray using FCP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MikeFightNight, Oct 12, 2009.

1. MikeFightNight macrumors newbie

Ok I got my LG blu ray burner today, installed it fine and my Mac does recognize it. So I went to FCP and under the File>Share there is the option to burn Blu Ray discs. So I picked my blu ray burner as the drive and about an hour later it asks me to insert the media. So I insert a Blu ray but then it ejects it back out.

I did this about 4 times and then threw in a DVD to see what would happen. To my surprise it looked like it started to do something and the percentage complete went up a little, then it ejects the DVD out and asks for me to put in a dual layered media. I have no idea why. I mean the file is no bigger than 2 gigs so my single layer BD-R should be fine. I have heard lots of people talking about Toast 10 to author blu ray's, but the point is why should I spend the money if FCP and compressor should be able to get the job done?

Can anyone help me out?

2. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

Hi. You may feel "FCP and compressor should be able to get the job done", but I don't think that's correct. They only produce files in a BD-friendly format. They don't claim to burn BDs. Neither does OSX.

For burning, you'll have to buy Toast 10 with the Blu-ray plug-in. Frustrating, I know.

3. MikeFightNight thread starter macrumors newbie

umm huh? then why is there a burn to disc option when I pick blu ray under share in final cut pro???

4. AKcameradude macrumors newbie

Actually it IS correct. The NEW FCS (version 7) has a new 'share' function
    which can burn a blu ray disk.....and that is what the OP is talking about
    when he says it is under the 'file > share' option.

I am not sure what your problem is, are you using Snow Leopard? I have
    heard reports of Snow Leopard causing some problems with the new Final
    Cut Studio. It SHOULD work just fine for you.....if it's not, there is
    something else going on, cause you can certainly burn a Blu Ray disc with
    the new Final Cut Studio.

5. goMac macrumors 603

Keep in mind the disc you burn may or may not work in a real Bluray player. The Bluray specification doesn't allow for home burned Blurays, only commercial, so you're burning an out of spec disk.

6. MikeFightNight thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I am using Snow Leopard but like you said that shouldn't be a problem. I dunno I guess i'll try again, which will take another hour. Sigh,,

7. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I haven't had an issue with playing back burned Blu-rays. Admittedly, I use a PS3 to test mine, but no issues yet. As long as what you burn conforms to the spec, it shouldn't be a problem at all - it's not very technically complicated.

8. AKcameradude macrumors newbie

Just to be clear here, what I have heard from other professional editors is
    that Snow Leopard IS causing some problems. You have to remember
    that the new Final Cut Studio (7) was released right before Snow Leopard,
    and so does not work perfectly with Snow Leopard. I am waiting for
    several 'point releases' on Snow Leopard before I install it on my Mac
    Pro edit computer......I am sure that it will not be too long until everything
    is working fine, but until then...Leopard works better with Final Cut Studio

9. AKcameradude macrumors newbie

That is a cool bit of info, but what the OP is talking about is burning
    Blu Ray discs, NOT regular DVD-R's that are 'playable' as Blu Ray.
    It's a new feature in Final Cut Studio (7? 2009?) or whatever the newest
    Final Cut Studio is called.

10. DetroitRockCity macrumors member

I have had no problems burning blu-ray. I have a 2.66 quad nehalem and a LG WH08LS20K burner. Everything in FCP 7 ran flawlessly. I burned a one hour 45 minute project to a Verbatim blu-ray disc. Now, it did take 4 hours to transcode.... but it was well worth it.

Are you making sure the "burn-blu ray disc" button is checked?

11. goMac macrumors 603

Yeah, the PS3 works with most of the out of spec formats. But stand alone Bluray players may be a mixed bag.

The Bluray burning feature is really meant for proofing. It's not really meant for sending a Bluray to family and friends.