burning a cd

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sourmash, Dec 25, 2009.

1. sourmash macrumors newbie

I am trying to make a copy of a cd that has a program on it.Its not a copy righted program so I should be able to burn it.I'm new to mac but in windows I would open a burn program and choose the disc and it would burn on a cd.I dont know what program to use to do this with mac.I have idvd and dvd player but this a cd and a program not music or video.I would also like to know how to make a copy of my imac install disc for a backup if its possible.

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    In Finder under File-> New Burn Folder -> Put your stuff in there -> Hit the "Burn" button in the upper right. :)

3. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

"Help" exists on the Mac as well. Go to the Finder, and in the menu bar click on Help. Open Mac Help. In there if you type in "Copy CD" you will find a note titled "Duplicating a CD or DVD". This will direct you to Disk Utility.

4. harry*333 macrumors 6502a

harry*333

1. Insert the CD or DVD disc in the optical drive, and select it in Disk Utility’s list of disks and volumes.
    2. Choose File > New > “Disk Image from [name of disc].”
    3. Type a name for the disk image.
    4. Choose “compressed” or “read-only” from the Image Format pop-up menu.
    5. Choose “compressed” to create a smaller disk image. Choose “read-only” to create a disk image that’s quicker to create and open.
    6. Click Save.
    7. After Disk Utility creates the disk image, eject the original CD or DVD.
    8. Select the disk image in the list of disks and volumes, and choose Images > Burn.
    9. When the Burn Disc dialog appears, insert a blank CD or DVD, and then click Burn.

'copied from help in Disk Utility'