Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

olliea95

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
Surrey, UK
Hello, sorry for the post here, rather than on the Toast forum, but I really didn't want to create an account for them.

Anyway, I would like some information about burning a DVD in Toast Titanium 10. My intended outcome is for me to have a DVD with a film on, in VIDEO_TS format, from the .avi file I have on my Mac.

I know how to burn a DVD in Toast, but first it needs to encode it, which seems to take forever, so I usually give up. Also, before I use all that time, I would like to know if it just burns a data disc, with just the avi on it, or if it converts it to a VIDEO_TS folder.

Any guidance on how to accomplish this?

Many thanks,

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
If you use Toast to burn your AVI to a DVD, then yes, it will encode it and the output will be a VIDEO_TS folder and so forth - not AVI. In other words, the DVD will play in any conventional DVD player.

From my experience I have found that Toast sometimes encodes AVIs well, other times not. For encoding you may want to look at what QT Pro or even better, ffmpegX have to offer as they will do a potentially better, and if nothing else more consistent job at encoding.

As for the slow speeds, I'm afraid to say it's probably due to your older machine - crunching video like that on a 400 MHz machine with only 512 MB of RAM will take a looong time. :(

olliea95

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
Surrey, UK
Great, thanks for the reply.

As for the encoding, (I'm sorry for the stupid place to ask this question) but is there a good tool for Windows XP, as I have a much faster Windows machine.

Yet, I probably rather wait ages, than use Windows again...

Thanks,

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Great, thanks for the reply.

As for the encoding, (I'm sorry for the stupid place to ask this question) but is there a good tool for Windows XP, as I have a much faster Windows machine.

Yet, I probably rather wait ages, than use Windows again...

No problem, glad to help. As for a similar tool on XP, I don't use Windows so am unfamiliar with any tools myself, however ************************** and see if anything there helps. (Just having some fun with that one...) ;) You could also look into seeing if the main Windows burning programs have encoding functionality built in as well, such as Nero or Toast's XP counterpart, Easy Media Creator. :cool:

olliea95

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
Surrey, UK
No problem, glad to help. As for a similar tool on XP, I don't use Windows so am unfamiliar with any tools myself, however ************************** and see if anything there helps. (Just having some fun with that one...) ;) You could also look into seeing if the main Windows burning programs have encoding functionality built in as well, such as Nero or Toast's XP counterpart, Easy Media Creator. :cool:

Thanks for the let me google that :p
Been a great help, I think I will just wait for it to encode on my Mac, seeing as I calculated it will only take 10 HOURS!!!...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Thanks for the let me google that :p
Been a great help, I think I will just wait for it to encode on my Mac, seeing as I calculated it will only take 10 HOURS!!!...

Thanks for having a sense of humor. ;) Sounds like the encoding job will be best left to run overnight - good luck! :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.