Burning a DVD: safe to use SMC Fan Control?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ki2594, Aug 17, 2009.

1. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

So i'm burning a DVD via iDVD and the rpm wouldn't pass 2000, so will using smcfancontrol and bumping it up to 4000 hurt my machine? I'm curious because my white macbook would run realllly high as far as rpm goes when burning something. So pumping the fans on this machine shouldn't be bad should it?

Thanks :) (the app did say on launch that this machine hasn't been tested yet)

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

There is no need to increase the fan speed using smcfancontrol, especially not because the fan behavior is different between two models. However, it will not affect the burn process in any way should you choose to do so. It is only detrimental to the fan life, but not enough to worry about.

3. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay. So then is it safe to let the CPU go past 90 degrees Celsius?! Because the fans don't go past 2000 without any thing controlling it.

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

In that case rather than creating a workaround you need to fix the actual problem. You probably need to reset the SMC. The SMC is what controls the fan speeds among other things. It's my experience that running programs such as smcfancontrol can occasionally throw the SMC out of whack. Apple has an article on resetting the SMC. Technically 105 degrees is the maximum temperature for the processor, at least for my particular MacBook Pro, but it should never get that hot if the fans are operating properly.