burning a DVD using toast

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Macsterling, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Macsterling macrumors regular

Macsterling

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I'm not sure if this is normal. I am using toast to burn DVD's. Most of the files are Avi or movie files. I drag them to toast and create DVD. How long should it normally take? It takes me about 5-8 hours to burn a movie. It seems the encoding is what takes the longest. I have a 20' iMac intel core duo runing leopard and have 2gb ram. Am I missing something here? I don't understand why it takes so long. Any suggestions?

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

How long are the movies?

Also the fact that they are .Avi's may be the reason for it being so slow.

3. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

When I create DVDs using iDVD it takes about 2 hours to render all the images and the video clips. That's with my 20" iMac 2GHz Core Duo with 2GHz RAM. I noticed that with toast I would get errors and it would take longer to do things. I think that program has a lot of un-necessary overhead.

4. Macsterling thread starter macrumors regular

Macsterling

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

they are about a gig or less. I tried other formats as well, MPEG, mov etc. They all take the same time. I just don't understand why it takes so long to burn. Its the encoding that takes anywhere from 5-9 hours. That just doesn't seem right to me.

5. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

How long (duration) is the movie?

Still, I'm pretty clueless as to how it can take 5-9 hours to burn a DVD.

Now a question I didn't ask was which version of Toast do you have?

6. Macsterling thread starter macrumors regular

Macsterling

I am running toast 8 titanium