Burning A DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by catfish743, Feb 16, 2008.

1. catfish743 macrumors 6502

catfish743

So, I have the mp4 that I made but I don't know how to put it actually on a DVD for viewing by other people. I've tried various things but nothing seems to work. Do I need another application or what?
    Thanks for any help!

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Is it an audio file? Is it in iTunes? If it is, it should be pretty easy.

Open up iTunes, go to "File" in the menu bar, go down to "Burn playlist to disc" and voila!

If it's a movie, you should be able to do the same thing.

If you can't burn movies from within iTunes, you can also create a burn folder.

In Finder, go to "File", "New Burn Folder" then put your mp4 file in the folder.

Now, in Finder again, go to "File", then "Burn "Burn Folder" to Disc", insert your disc and away you go!

3. catfish743 thread starter macrumors 6502

catfish743

I did that and it says "You have inserted a blank DVD but originally selected a CD format. Are you sure you wish to create a data DVD instead?"

I'm pretty sure I don't want to make a Data DVD so what do I do now? How do I change options?

4. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Here's a pic to 'change' the burn options:

Attached Files:

5. catfish743 thread starter macrumors 6502

catfish743

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Is the file a music file or a video file? What purpose are your burning for. If you just want to burn it so that people can use it on another computer then a Data disc is fine.

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

If you want people to be able to play it on their non-computer DVD player, then you need to use iDVD. But, that's a whole 'nother ball of wax.

8. catfish743 thread starter macrumors 6502

catfish743

hrmm
    iDvd? how does that work?
    sadly i think i should know this

so my movie is just 2.25 GB but it keeps saying it is more than that in iDVD and won't let me burn it. Any suggestions?

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

iDVD is part of Apple's standard software package and it should be in your Applications folder.

I used it once a couple of years ago and it's fairly simple. Just import your mp4 file and the directions are pretty easy. There is a small learning curve but it shouldn't take long.

10. Doktag macrumors newbie

That is because .mp4 (OR MPEG-4) is much better at compressing video than the standard DVD video format, MPEG-2. It has to convert it down to MPEG-2 before it can burn to DVD, and that means the file will get bigger with the same amount of video quality.

How long is the movie?

11. catfish743 thread starter macrumors 6502

catfish743

135 minutes

I even made the file size smaller but it still didn't work. It's just barely too big. Any suggestions?

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

What software did you use to create the mp4 with?

Can you use that software to compress it somehow?

13. catfish743 thread starter macrumors 6502

catfish743

I used Handbrake to format it, and when i put it down to a smaller frame rate which means smaller size it still came up the same. I don't know what i should try now.

14. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

You might try posting in the digital video section. Someone there might be able to help.

15. mrtune macrumors 6502a

To take a video file and put it on DVD to be played by a standard DVD player, iDVD is the correct software. It can convert you movie file for you.

The problem you're having is not the video file size, but the length in time of the video. A standard DVD is too small to fit a 2 hour 15 min movie. Click on project in the menu bar, then click on project info. There are 3 encoding options to choose from of varying quality. Try picking a different one. If that doesn't work, the other option is to buy a dual layer DVD which has double the capacity of a standard DVD.

16. catfish743 thread starter macrumors 6502

catfish743

I tried with the options and it was still barely too long. Looks like I will have to go Dual layer. Thanks for all the info though.

17. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

If you have/get Toast 8, you can just put the file into it and you can just let it convert it to a dvd.