Burning a DVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by shouldberunning, Mar 26, 2010.

1. shouldberunning macrumors member

If I understood the digital world I'm sure I'd find this is a perfectly simple task... but I'm lost.

I'm used to using DVD Shrink under Windows, but now I want to delete my Windows partition and retire Bootcamp. So this is the last thing I need to conquer...

I use Handbrake to do the 'shrinking' part of the process but I just can't get a handle on how to use my Macbook DVD burner to create a DVD that will play on a normal, household DVD player.

Am I missing something? Is this very easy and I'm just not getting it? iDVD seems to be way over my head. Is there a free DVD Shrink for Mac that everyone else has that I missed out on?

Any advice gratefully welcome or a URL to a good online manual appreciated.:)

<EDIT> I copy my legally purchased DVD's only, so I can leave the originals at home while I'm on the road.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. shouldberunning thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. I appreciate the info, and you're right, I may have to resort to opening my dusty wallet. But shouldn't there be something I can do with my nice MacBook and Snow Leopard without resorting to buying more software?

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am probably not the one to ask, because if I want to burn I use Mac DVD Ripper Pro, and I don't shrink
    I have never looked to see if it would actually

But, you can try Burn

Disk Utility may be able to burn what you want, but I have never tried to burn a DVD for a DVD player with Disk Utility

5. shouldberunning thread starter macrumors member

Hey man, thanks again. This looks like the key.

I had tried it before and found that it didn't work as well as I had hoped, but this is a new version so fingers crossed.

Disk Utility worked fine for making data DVD disks but not video DVD discs although we no it's capable of this because iDVD burns DVDs... but is a great hassle. Burn seems to use the Mac's and OS X's abilities to do so and simply raps it up in a much simpler and user friendly GUI.

I appreciate your insights and thanks again.:)

6. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

Toast

yeah, toast is an awesome app.
    It's way more than disc burning.
    I would compare it to nero in its diverse use, but not in nero's crappy UI. :mad:

7. ptb2010 macrumors newbie

Toast and iDVD

I just bought an external dvd burner having been told my burner was kaputt as it was no longer burning dvds off of iDVD - only to find the the version of toast included with it won't burn a dvd longer than 59 minutes, won't burn to dvd-r or -rw or -ram as promised, and costs US80 to get a better version.
    Can't burn from iDVD to my new external dvd burner either so it may well be iDVD that is corrupt.
    A lot to be asking on my first post I know but would be so grateful to any help you guys can give me.
    Re burning from iDVD I've already tried moving the iDVD preference to the desktop from he documents folder and repaired my permissions!