burning a hole in my pocket.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rust.puppet, Jan 18, 2011.

1. rust.puppet macrumors regular

i was hoping by the time i got my student loans there would atleast be a announcement of when the media event would be held. the longer I hold this money the more tempted I am to buy random things... had the money for about 3 hours and it's driving me nuts. i guess this is just a rant :) seriously almost bought a car with cash though. if i didn't want another MBP so bad it would of been a deal. :apple:

2. mox123 macrumors 6502

so this is what America has to look forward to...in terms of the supposed bright next generation to carry us forward in the 21st century...

3. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Hang in there. I also have a bunch of money saved for my next comp upgrade/update, and it's hard not to drop it on 2010 i5 or i7. But I'm hunkering down. Don't go nickle and diming your way thru your money but blowing it on small crap. Your money will be gone with nothing to show for it.

And there won't be an event. Not likely anyway. They are just gonna update it one day. And we may or may not get a rumor before hand hinting to when.

Just keep busy and forget you have the money for a while.

4. troop231 macrumors 603

I feel the same way, the cash is burning a hole in my pocket lol. I bought a new glass top workstation and a Ottlite to prepare for my new MBP as soon as it's available; other than those things that's all I've really bought lately.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Scary, no? :eek:

6. nathanielonfire macrumors member

Sorry, not to be mean, but aren't your student loans for school? I mean, you already have a MacBook Pro according to your signature, which I'm sure is more than good enough for most school stuff.

If you can't hold onto a large sum of money (which you'll have to pay back, probably) for three hours without freaking out, you probably shouldn't have it. Put it in a savings account and wait if you really need a new MBP.

I'm with mox on this one. I worry for the future.

7. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Hopefully he's not an accurate sample of the generation as a whole.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

And the current generation has done an awesome job :rolleyes:

9. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

You will probably have to wait longer than 3 hours for any MacBook announcement.

I think the best guess for a new MacBook Pro is April/May and even then probably not a major change from what they offer now.

10. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

Jesus. I can't imagine how fast you'd spend an actual paycheck, if you're so hot to want to blow money that isn't even really yours. Just out of curiosity (if you feel like sharing), how much money do you have in a checking/savings account at the moment?

11. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

So I could have used my student loan for other stuff? I have already paid it off, maybe I could get another student loan (I'd like a Mac Pro and an iPad)

12. fortunecookie macrumors regular

fortunecookie

13. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

Resist! the new revision isnt too far off!

But if you absolutely need to... go for it :D

14. henry999 macrumors newbie

In terms of his fiscal proclivities, I'd say he typifies not the future generation so much as the country in general. What shocks me is that he is a student, presumably (since he's talking about a student loan) a university student, who tells us that he is waiting for "a announcement" because he wants that new MBP "so bad", otherwise he "would of" bought a car. Does this really mean that you can get into college nowadays while writing at the sixth grade level?

cheers,

Henry

15. aCondor macrumors 6502

Nice, Henry. Made me laugh.

To the OP: You are an idiot. Did you take out extra student loans just to replace your current MBP? You must have or you wouldn't be able to pay for school. Hey, it's your life. Enjoy the 10% APR. Your $2,000 laptop will cost $3,500 after all is said and done. Get a really nice one!

16. nathanielonfire macrumors member

I swear, all you need to get into college these days is an ACT score somewhere above abysmal...everything else is optional. Writing skills? Meh. :p

17. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

I iz also a student hoping to buy the next mbp with skool monies.

U old brahs mad?

Yeah you mad. Keep gettin styled on.

18. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

People graduate from college without the ability to write above a sixth grade level, nowadays.

"Can you tie your own shoes? Feed yourself? Sign credit card and loan applications without reading them/having any sense of fiscal responsibility? Good. Here's a diploma. Now, go out there and make America great."

This.

19. mox123 macrumors 6502

In my opinion, nothing is worth paying interests for, except for possibly a mortgage and things that generate incomes...

in today's saturated market of college grads, it's a catch-22 whether it's worth it to borrow money through tooth and nail to attend a school that is not on the top-10 or 15 list...

another brand new MBP is *not* worth mortgaging your future...as much as I like Apple products and their stock value...

20. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Wow people, judgmental much?

A computer is pretty important for school and judging by the OP's signature he isn't running out for the newest thing. An 8gb iPhone 3g.. Ouch! Who knows how old the macbook is?

I remember being in college and living on a tight budget, having that much money is pretty exciting and the decision of what to do with it is a tough one. Student loans are useful for some living expenses but be carefull not to over do it!

My advise to you is that if you're sure you want the new MBP you should give the money to a close family member to hold for you or maybe buy a visa gift card with it so you're less likely to use it in small amounts. You would be amazed how fast it will all go the way of bar tabs and new clothes, before you know it you will chip it to far down to be able to buy anything useful and you truly will have wasted it.

Also.... Cut up your credit cards :)

21. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Wow you guys need to stop beating this kid, so what if he wants to use HIS loan for a computer...a computer is a great convenience in school. AFAIK you are not allowed to use your loan money on a car anyway, items have to be related/used for school and no a car to drive you there does not count.

Im in college too, I get excited when I have extra money because its almost impossible to get a job at school a school where you have class any time from 8am-10pm. Money is tight and apparently all of you busting him had your parents pay for school and everything you own. Personally I worked my butt off in the summer to pay cash for mine because I have enough trouble getting a loan for school.

Also there is nothing really exciting coming, all these geek freaks will tell you wait because of Lightpeak or USB3.0 or omgz Sandy Bridge but really how often do you move large amounts of data that USB or FW800 is inconvenient and the processor isn't much better than the current...

My opinion - Go buy one now.

22. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I think the vibe here is more about the money "burning a hole" in his pocket, not what he wants to spend it on. It's about a lack of financial discipline, not about whether he needs a computer.

23. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'd agree if the OP's existing computer is broken and/or is so old it isn't adequate for his studies.

On the other hand, he gives the appearance of merely wanting the latest/greatest version rather than the MBP13 in his signature. That's kind of a silly thing for which to mortgage your future with a student loan.

24. Shazzam6999 macrumors newbie

It's awfully condescending and hypocritical in here. Considering the current generation is looking to leave the subsequent generation with something like 14,000,000,000,000 dollars in unpaid debt I would hold of on accusing others of financial mismanagement. Also, the generalizations on the current generations intelligence based on one post are extremely uncalled for. It's amazing how immature individuals can become while berating another person for their immaturity.

Still though OP, buying a 1500 dollar computer that you don't need with your student loan is probably not the best financial decision. If you really don't need the money you're better off paying it towards your student loans, or saving it so that you don't have to take out a loan next semester. On the other hand, not having a computer makes college extremely difficult since it seems as though most professors assume that all students do is sit at their computers refreshing their e-mails.

25. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I had trouble saving for mine because it was the first time ever that I was bringing in that amount of money, a 1k paycheck every two weeks and 2.5k sitting in the bank for almost a month plus I was waiting on the loans to go through to see if I could even buy one. Im sure everyone of you felt this way when you were younger, crappy little summer jobs in HS bringing in $200 every other week or so then you are able to get a decent job and make some money and then you have so much you dont know what to do with it because your not dumping it into gas money to get to work.

Even I have left over student loan money because of the amount of credits im taking changed and books changed so it will be saved until I know next year is paid for...or I wont be able to complete school :)