Burning a video DVD with a VIDEO_TS folder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by olliea95, Feb 11, 2009.

1. olliea95 macrumors regular

olliea95

Hello,

I would like to know how to burn a movie that I have in .avi format, and covert and burn it onto a DVD. I have managed to burn the .avi straight onto the DVD, but this means that I cannot view it in DVDPlayer.app because it needs a VIDEO_TS folder. (EDIT: Or I cannot view it in my DVD player, plugged into my television)

So I just wanted to know how to burn my movie from an .avi format onto a DVD using the standard VIDEO_TS folder (and possibly an AUDIO_TS as well, if needed).

BTW, if it is possible using the free Burn.app software, that would be great :)

Thanks!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I haven't used the app myself, but it sounds like it can do this. Go to the Video tab, select DVD, and drag the video file into the window.

3. olliea95 thread starter macrumors regular

olliea95

Yeah I have tried this before, but it seemed like it was going to take an age to convert it to mpeg. I will try it again now, thanks :)

Edit: Will this burn it as a VIDEO_TS folder, or just burn the mpeg straight on?

Update: I have now just tried to do as you said, BlueRevolution, and it converted it OK. Yet somehow it converted into a 45 MB .mpg file, which surely cannot be right. Are there any other tools to achieve this DVD burning problem?

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I know Toast can do this, and you may be able to use iDVD to the same end as well.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Toast will do it, VisualHub used to do it too.

What you did originally was just burn a data DVD.

Where did you purchase the avi file from?

6. olliea95 thread starter macrumors regular

olliea95

Long story but I actually bought it off a mate, because he always backs up his DVDs (no idea how he got it to avi), so he gave me the film on a USB stick.

Are there any free tools?

Edit: Don't worry, as I have got my hands on a copy of Toast. It's downloading now, so I will try and burn it in a minute, if there are any problems I will post. If not then thanks so much for all the info guys :)