Burning a Windows Vista Install CD from install files downloaded from Microsoft

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by theodrak, Oct 8, 2008.

1. theodrak macrumors newbie

Hi, I have bought a version of Vista from Microsoft Online Uk Store which allowed me to download the files. (https://emea.microsoftstore.com/UK/) This came in the form of....

Vista_HomePremium_SP1_32bit_English_Download_Part1_66I-01938.exe
    install.wim
    boot.wim

I tried burning this to disc and runnning BootCamp Assistant to install.
    After partitioning the drive Bootcamp asks to install the Windows Vista Install Disc.

However i constantly get the error
    "The installer disc could not be found"

How do I burn the files mentioned above so that it will be recognised by my mac inorder to install Vista?

Really appreciate any help on this.

Theo

2. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

Assuming that both the online store and MSDN sites have a similar delivery scheme (I've only downloaded OS images, etc. from the MSDN site) you will actually need to run the exe on a Windows machine. It will then download an ISO which you will need to burn to a DVD and, finally, you will be able to boot off the CD and install it. It always seemed to be a mildly braindead method to me seeing how they are offering OS installs for purchase...

3. theodrak thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it is the full install

Thanks for the prompt reply,

I think it is a different method of download to MSDN, as in total the three files are 2.8GB which i assume is a compressed version of the full install.

Vista_HomePremium_SP1_32bit_English_Download_Part1_66I-01938.exe = 81MB
    install.wim = 2.6GB
    boot.wim = 128 MB

Would you know of any way of transforming this into a "disc image"?

4. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

It looks like the "install.wim" is a Windows Image containing the actual guts of the system while "boot.wim" is a BartPE system that will boot from a DVD and actually perform the install. I would have to guess that running the EXE will either burn a bootable DVD or create an ISO. There doesn't appear to be an easy way to get a bootable disc out of those files without having some sort of pre-existing Windows install.

This site has instructions on how to burn the DVD but, after doing a quick scan of the page, it still appears to be very Windows-centric.

5. theodrak thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks. Ill see if there is anything i can do with the files then