Burning an MP3 itunes CD - Please help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bomadian, Feb 16, 2008.

1. bomadian macrumors member

Hi there. I'm burning a CD of selected songs from my itunes library which I have dragged over into a playlist. The problem arises when I try and burn the playlist to CD using the MP3 settings. It says there are 45 errors where the songs are not in the MP3 format. I try and convert the songs in the playlist to MP3 but it won't let me, it seems the only way to convert them is to go back into the library and convert them. Is there another way round this?

2. seeker777 macrumors member

seeker777

Just a few quick questions:

Please confirm:
    1. That you are trying to burn the MP3 CD from iTunes directly and not a third party software
    2. That your iTunes setting in Preferences>Advanced>Burning has the MP3 CD button selected in Disc Format.

Then, please explain exactly what you are doing when you say

3. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

iTunes can only burn MP3 CDs if the original format of the music is MP3. iTunes won't convert the music to MP3s at all.

So, for instance, let's say all of your music is AAC/MP4a you won't be able to burn an MP3 CD because the songs aren't MP3s to begin with.

4. seeker777 macrumors member

seeker777

bomadian,
    To Digital Skunks point, if you have not already, you may want to change your Preferences>Advanced>Importing to Import Using MP3 Encoder. It may save you further heartache in the future.

If you do, I suggest you place the Setting on at least High Quality (160 kbps). You can go higher, but file size gets larger. Perhaps try a song at 160 and 192 to see if you can hear a difference (many people can't at normal usage).

5. bomadian thread starter macrumors member

1) Yes, using itunes
    2) Yes that is selected

I wanted to be able to highlight the whole playlist i wanted to burn and convert the selection to MP3 like you can do when you right-click on a tune in the main library. I ended up having to go back into the library and converting each song to mp3, then drag those mp3s to the playlist and then burn. So i got there in the end, just confused why it had to be so time consuming.

Another problem cropped up after checking the burnt cd on another computer. The album art that was there in my itunes library didn't show up on the cd. strangely, the only burnt songs that had itunes artwork were the ones i had to hunt for artwork and assign manually, the songs that already had their artwork in my library did not bring their artwork with them when burnt to the CD.

6. seeker777 macrumors member

seeker777

You should be able to do all of the conversions at once in the playlist.

In the playlist, select the first song, and hold down shift while selecting the last song. All songs should be selected. Then, when you right click, the convert to MP3 selection is still there.

Did this not work?