Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s1w

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
I used Handbrake to rip encode the dvd to mp4. Now I want to burn it to a DVD for a cheap backup.

mp4 is 1.4gb

I keep getting an error saying the data I'm trying to burn is over 4 gb's and too big for my blank disc. How's that possible?

Shouldn't I be able to burn the mp4 to a dvd easily in iDVD?

Thanks

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Erm.... so many things about this confuse me.

You started with a DVD, yes, and you want to make a backup. Was the original DVD dual layer? If not, it would be much better to use MacTheRipper, FairMount, or the like, to rip it as a TS_VIDEO folder. This way, when you burn it again, you have a copy of what you started with.

I think the reason that iDVD is giving you problems is that, once iDVD converts the video back to DVD VOB format and adds its menus and things, it doesn't fit on a single layer disc.

If it's a dual layer DVD, so you can't just rip the disc and then re-burn it, you could try Burn...

http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/

Or else if you have Windows, there's great free Windows software explicitly to recompress a DVD in TS_VIDEO format to single-layer size. I use it on my EeeBox

Jhanson09

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2009
kansas city, mo
Toast is sooooo much better than iDVD

I used Handbrake to rip encode the dvd to mp4. Now I want to burn it to a DVD for a cheap backup.

mp4 is 1.4gb

I keep getting an error saying the data I'm trying to burn is over 4 gb's and too big for my blank disc. How's that possible?

Shouldn't I be able to burn the mp4 to a dvd easily in iDVD?

Thanks

harry*333

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
if your just trying to make a backup of the mp4 then put in the blank disc, copy the file over in finder, and then click burn

idvd burns dvd's to play in dvd players so it has to spread out the data over the length of the video

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.