Burning AVCHD to DVD-5 with compressor...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by nateo200, Feb 17, 2012.

1. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I already have a BluRay elementary 264 stream and a Dolby Digital audio file and I need to burn them to a DVD-5....how the heck do I do this? Ive been reading this: http://documentation.apple.com/en/c...nAssociatingWithMessierRevision-90863ACT-SW28 but Im lost! It wants me to put in the files to re-encode! Why can't I just burn the files or make a .img? Sorry I'm really frustrated right now. Any help would be nice. Thanks.

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I didn't check the link (entirely) that you gave. But I know this;

MPEG-2 is what's used for DVD's, not h.264. There are some DVD players that can play h.264 files. But not all of them. I guess the article (since that's most logical) is guiding you to make a DVD all DVD players will read.

I don't know how big the file is, but the file that's going on the disk should be smaller then 4.6GB, but that's obvious of course.

I normally use a preset for MPEG-2 (like 90 minutes) and then another one for the sound and then use DVD Studio Pro to combine them.

Last thing, it's of course not possible to burn an HD movie to the disk. With that I mean that the version the DVD can play will be SD (so a resolution around 640x480).
    There is a possibility to put High Definition video on a regular DVD, but only Mac's and a few (I don't know one) DVD players can play these kind of DVD's. You're also limited to about 15 minutes of HD material.

Hope this helps to clarify things. I hope I didn't tell you stuff you already knew.

3. JasonA macrumors member

If you want to burn it as a Blu-ray onto DVD5 media, don't use Compressor at all. Use txMuxerGUI to mux it as an AVCHD disc.

4. Richardthe4th macrumors regular