Burning .avi files to a DVD-R using iDVD???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PhaserFuzz, Aug 27, 2008.

1. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

I'm trying to burn a film in .avi format using iDVD. For some reason I can't get it to work. It goes through the encoding process, but once it starts to burn, the DVD just ejects and it doesn't work. What am I doing wrong? Is there a certain way you have to do this? Thanks for any help!!!

2. ReptileArmy macrumors newbie

ReptileArmy

because, it wont work with AVI. files iDVD works only with mov. files. If you really need to do that, I would suggest getting TOAST to burn your dvd's.

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Actually that does not turn out to be true-- at least for the version of iDVD included in the iLife 08 Suite.

I thought that too today when I first read this, but tried it tonight (Using the "Import-->Video") menu choice and it rendered them and burned a disk just fine.

BTW- I normally use Toast for this myself, so was surprised that this worked- but I had never tried it.

Edit: To the OP- I really can't see what is going wrong- although my first suggestion would be to try another brand of blank disks since Mac optical drives (particularly in laptops) are often picky about which blanks they will successfully burn to. Even using the brand you are using you could try just inserting one when you are on the desktop, dragging a few files to it and trying to burn that- if it fails to burn a disk that way you would have to be suspicious of the brand/type of media or the drive itself.