Burning avi on flash drive for divx player

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chase19, Dec 27, 2010.

1. chase19 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm fairly new to mac so your patience is appreciated.

When I transfer an avi movie onto a usb flash drive from my PC it works fine in my Divx player but I seem to have a problem when putting the same movie from my mac onto the usb key. The Divx player does not read the usb key?

Also, which "forat" should I use in the disk utility when erasing (formatting) the flash drive (i.e. MS DOS (FAT) ... MAC OS Extended ...) ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chase

2. Deomitrus macrumors member

Divx player on your PC?

Is the movie file on the Mac the same format (.avi?).

You should format your flash drive as MS DOS (FAT) to be able to read it on your PC as well as your Mac.

3. chase19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry should have been more clear, I have a "LG" CD/DVD Divx player that plays AVI movies from a USB key.

Yes the file on the Mac is same format .avi.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I would imagine that LG unit would also expect either FAT32 or NTFS formatted volumes, since they probably expect mostly PC users. I would also check and make sure it has a Master Boot Record partition map (assuming it's never been formatted and is fresh of the package, it'd already be set to that most likely).

jW

5. chase19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can a mac format to FAT32 or NTFS?

Sorry for the newbie question but how would I make sure it has a Master Boot Record Partition map? The flash drive is not new.

Thank you

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If you want FAT32, your Mac can do it out of the box. Use Disk Utility, go to the Partition tab, choose 1 Partition from the drop-down menu, and then click the Options button at the bottom. From there, choose Master Boot Record and click ok, then Partition.

NTFS would require installing NTFS-3G, then following the same process. http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-download/

jW