Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arcane86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Steel City, Ontario
Hey all, i have a few movies i would like to copy and burn due to i have a sister that like to steal my movies and leave em around after watching one and then putting another one in.:(..hence scratched up dvds = un-happy me.
so are there any programs already on the mac i can use or what?

i went and got movies online of ones i had that got destroyed already and used a program called "burn" to burn them to a dvd but...it changed them from full screen to kinda a half ass-d fullscreen. like theres black bars at the bottom of my tv screen...but the sides are cut off still.

im a noob with mac's and i got my black macbook for my graphic design course...so any help is wicked awsome of you!!:cool:

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Why not just walk into Best Buy, pick up the one she scratched, and walk out the door with it.

It's essentially the same thing.

If you're going to back up a DVD, you have to continue to own the DVD. If it gets lost, stolen, damaged, whatever, you no longer have the rights to those DVDs.

Blubbert

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
Why not just walk into Best Buy, pick up the one she scratched, and walk out the door with it.

It's essentially the same thing.

If you're going to back up a DVD, you have to continue to own the DVD. If it gets lost, stolen, damaged, whatever, you no longer have the rights to those DVDs.

So, in your view, backups of media you own are illegal? I keep backups just in that specific case that someting happens to the original media, thats why they are backups.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
So, in your view, backups of media you own are illegal? I keep backups just in that specific case that someting happens to the original media, thats why they are backups.

No, backups are not illegal, but when you're making them, you're basically making a copy of the movie to use while you still have the movie. If you no longer have the movie, you shouldn't use the "backup" because you don't have the rights to it anymore.

Would you buy a DVD, make a "backup," and sell the DVD to a friend of yours?

Blubbert

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
No, backups are not illegal, but when you're making them, you're basically making a copy of the movie to use while you still have the movie. If you no longer have the movie, you shouldn't use the "backup" because you don't have the rights to it anymore.

Would you buy a DVD, make a "backup," and sell the DVD to a friend of yours?

No i wouldnt, but stating that you can only use a backup while the original is still viable is just plain silly. Why would i need a backup then?

When i buy a movie, i do not only buy the medium, i buy the right to watch that movie, and that right is trasnfered to any subsequent backup of the said movie. I have already shelled out my money for the MPAA and the publisher and a lot of other things, the least i can expect from that is that i get the right to back up my purchase, to use as a fallback position when the original fails.

platypus63

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
Zanzibar Land
I think making back-ups of your own media is pretty legit.

Arcane86, to make back ups 100% like the original use Mac The Ripper. You can adjust some settings i think to make it fit into different DVD sizes.

Or you can use Handbrake, which has tons of settings, so you can put your dvds on your ipod, psp, or whatever. This gets rid of all extras and stuff and keeps only the movie (you can select which audio track/subtitles/ etc.)

You can find the links by a quick google search of course. As for burning these to watch on a TV... I have never done so, but I think you could probably put the movie file into iDVD or something.

Oh and hide your original DVDs from your sister!! (I had the same problem when my younger brother was a wee little baby!!)

Lemme know if you have any other questions.

Arcane86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Steel City, Ontario
hmm loved how i caused a debate lol

but yea thanks platypus63 for the info. greatly appreciated. i think id rather have my sis as a wee one still. maybe then she wouldnt be stealin my movies to watch all the time lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.