Burning .bin/.cue Video Files to DVD's

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mongoose8p, Jul 23, 2007.

1. mongoose8p macrumors regular

Hey Guys,
    sorry for this question but I was wondering if anyone knows how to burn .bin/.cue video files to a playable DVD. I don't know if there is a way to do it Disk Utility or FFMPEGX. I had Toast 8 Titanium on my old Macbook. But I don't have it anymore. I can get it but was wondering if there is any other way. And if not how to do it in Toast.

2. Frosty1 macrumors member

yes u can do it in Toast, but it will take a very long time. You have to encode the movie first, which Toast can do, and then once that done burn it.

3. Arne macrumors regular

You don't have to encode anything, the .bin-file is an image of the disc.

However, I don't know how to do it without toast, I'm sorry...

4. mongoose8p thread starter macrumors regular

thanks i got toast back but i cant seem to burn the dvd of video file it reads CD-ROM XA or Audio tracks cannot be writen to DVD. I don't know what to do know.. if someone could help that be great

5. Frosty1 macrumors member

you do have to encode the .bin file as DVD players will not read it. Only prop is encoding takes like the whole day.

6. kolax macrumors G3

Encoding takes a whole day? I've encoded a .avi file for a DVD player and it took about 50mins.

7. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

DVD encoding is a time-intensive process. Only in recent years has computing power caught up with the bandwith requirements of MPEG2 codecs.

Anyway, its not just how much RAM you have, or how fast your CPU is, it also has to do with what program you encode with, the length of the file, the codec of the original file, the IBP layout of the frames etc etc.

a .bin is an image file of a CD, maybe DVD but im not sure

you need to be able to view the .bin as a mounted disk in order to get the video off of it, obviously you cant encode a video if its "locked in the .bin".

if you know the .bin file to contain video, which you want to put onto DVD, you need to get the video "off" the .bin.

from there you will need to encode the video to MPEG2 and then, assuming you want to play this on a set top DVD player, you need a DVD authoring program to create the DVD.

MPEG2/.m2v video will NOT simply play in any DVD player like it does on your computer. A DVD authoring program is needed to take the video and create the appropraite DVD standard layout for all DVD players.

I hope that makes some sense.

8. Mernak macrumors 6502

Burn can burn .bin/.cue files, but I am not sure if it will work in a dvd player. You could try it in the dvd section or the image section, I'm not sure which will work.

9. chex macrumors regular

10. mongoose8p thread starter macrumors regular

I'm well aware on how to ge mpeg2 to a dvd im very fluent in this I do it very often. Thanks for the advice. What I don't know is how to get the .bin video file extracted or "off" the .bin as you said. So if anyone knows any way to do this that would be great. and i don't know if disk utility can do this,

11. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

you need something, like toast, that can read the .bin, and then mount the image allowing you to take the content from it.

or

burn it to disk, insert disk, copy.

12. Jodi78 macrumors newbie

No, you don't.

Sorry, I have spent the last 2 hours jumping from forum to forum trying to figure this out. I began reading this one, popped a disc in, hit the red button on toast, and then as it started scrolled down and groaned to read how "you have to extract and encode first..."

I am SOOOOO glad I didn't hit cancel.

Toast 8 does it all for you. It took 6 minutes, no other programs.

Open Toast.
    Select "Copy" Option on menu,
    Click on Bin/Cue Files.
    Drag BIN FILE ONLY and drop it into the box.
    Insert CD (not dvd).
    Hit the red button.
    I selected burn speed of x2
    And off it went.

When it was finished, I checked the disc and it had 4 folders, it had extracted everything required. Disc was just put into a dvd player - I told myself surely it couldn't be that easy... voila, it works.

I have never posted on one of these forums, but after spending so much time trying to figure this out, I decided to take the time and write this - hopefully it helps someone!!!

Don't bother with other downloads of numerous programs - you DON'T NEED THEM!!! I'm sure it works going the long way round, but you don't have to.

Bin file containing a movie. Whacked into toast. 6 minutes later it was burnt to a CD, that works in a dvd player.

Enjoy.