Burning Blu-Ray DVD on Macbook Pro/Toast 10 Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kjiphone, Nov 24, 2009.

1. kjiphone macrumors member

I just purchased Toast 10 Titanium Pro with the hopes of being able to burn blu-ray DVDs using my MBP which I purchased last December (2008) with a CD/DVD burner: MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-868.

Do I need to purchase a special blu-ray drive (internal or external) to do this? I was told by my Apple rep that my dvd burner was fine and that I needed to use Final Cut Pro. I read that Toast 10 Titanium Pro was also compatible to make blu-ray DVDs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

sheesh... a DVD drive will NOT burn blu-ray diskss. The laser is different. You can buy an external blu-ray burner that can be used from the Mac.

3. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

lol. You seriously thought a CD/DVD burner could burn blue-ray? You need to do more research next time. Luckily, there are blue-ray burner out there or else you would have wasted the money. Your CD/DVD burner is fine but it's just that it's not able to burn blue-ray.

4. kjiphone thread starter macrumors member

Ease Up....

I did a lot of research before I asked, the Apple representative told me that so I thought I was incorrect. So I apologize for asking such a question. I did order a Lacie External today. Sorry to have inconvenienced you all....

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Ignore them...some people feel better about themselves by belittling others. But, in retrospect....admit it...when you think about it now, don't you just want to do a facepalm (even just a little one)?

6. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

The Apple rep wasn't all wrong...

You can't burn Blu-Rays with a DVD drive but you can burn Blu-Ray compatible DVDs (although at a way smaller capacity) that will play in any player.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

Not annoyed with the OP, just the Apple rep for telling him DVD can do blu-ray.

8. chill. macrumors 6502

to be honest the OP's wording is very vague. he says "blu-ray DVDs" which can mean either

1. blu-ray discs
    2. DVDs that can work in a blu-ray player

if 1 then you need a BR drive

if 2 then the built-in burner can do it

so... depending on what the OP actually said, the apple rep might be right so you shouldn't be annoyed! :p

9. kjiphone thread starter macrumors member

I was asking the Apple representative (in person) if it was necessary to obtain an internal or external Blu Ray disc drive to burn Blu Ray discs. I had just purchased Toast 10 Titanium Pro in order to do so. He said that the internal drive on my current macbook pro was all I needed. No need to purchase a new disc drive. Just put in a blu ray disc and use the Toast software. That was not what I had read on this forum and others. But I figured he had more experience than I.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Exactly what I thought - the Apple rep said you can put in a blu-ray disc. A blu-ray disc will not burn in a DVD burner.

11. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

The lesson here is check with MacRumors first. Even Apple Geniuses aren't always of genius intelligence (and let's not get started on floor staff). Research first with any purchase. In any transaction, if you assume a seller knows more than you, you could get screwed.

12. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Wow. That guy needs a slap in the face. I would definitely file a complain!

13. cuestakid macrumors 68000

That the response I would expect from a Fry's electronics rep; not an Apple rep.

14. Mycatisbigfoot macrumors regular

If you are planing to get an external Disk burrner get one thats fire wire 800 so its 800MB\s to make that burn just faster

15. jbuk macrumors regular

No. The maximum BD-R write speed is 12x (54MB/s), much less than the total FW800 throughput (which is 800mbit/s, not mBytes/s, fyi), so getting a FW800 BD burner will not increase burn speeds.

16. kjiphone thread starter macrumors member

I purchased a LaCie d2 External Blu-ray burner (8X BD-R/E). Hopefully that is a good model....

17. MitchLewis macrumors member

I came across this thread while doing a internet search...

What's funny about this thread is that it's full of people who sound like they know what they are talking about but they really don't.

1) You don't need a Blu-Ray burner to burn Blu-Ray compatible discs.
    2) You don't need Blu-Ray media to burn Blu-Ray compatible discs.

If you have Toast 9 or 10 and their Blu-Ray plug-in (extra $20) and a DVD burner, then you have all you need. The only negative is that the size of the DVD-R (you must use DVD-R's by the way, DVD+R won't work) is much smaller than Blu-Ray so you will only be able to store about 20-30 minutes of data.

Not all Blu-Ray players will play a DVD-R with Blu-Ray data on it, but most of the newer models will.

18. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I;m curious how well your set up works. What r u burning? Your own videos? if so, what do you shoot with? I want to buy a hd camcorder for my iMac, edit the videos on it and burn bluray discs for family members. I'm curious to see what you use. thank you

19. MitchLewis macrumors member

I resurrected this thread from November of 2009. There may not be many people still viewing it.

20. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

DOH!

21. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

And you did this why?

22. teledude macrumors newbie

teledude

Keep the conversation going....

I'm very interested in this thread. I will be experimenting soon with my HD vieos I shot. I will likely buy an external drive to go with my Toast 10 Pro.

23. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I'd like to know more please. What camcorder are u using and what program r u editing with? I want to buy a hd camcorder soon and want use my Mac to edit and then burn blu-ray discs for family. Thanks for any info and updates.