Burning Bootable Windows XP from Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jownation, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Jownation macrumors newbie

Okay, this might be a ridiculous question, but...

So I've had this mac for a number of years. I got myself bootcamp so I could run some windows games I had. My XP disc was even older... SP1, in fact, but it worked fine. Installed it, installed bootcamp drivers, updated packs. One time I had to wipe it and reinstall and that was a bit of a hassle, but it was fine.

Anyhow, in the winter I got Snow Leopard through my work. Which, I guess, comes with bootcamp already. Okay, so awesome. My computer's been chugging along slowly lately, so I figured this would be a nice time to wipe everything off and start over from scratch. OS installs fine, everything works great (except for I realize I need to get more ram by now).

Then I go to install XP. After the initial installation I find that I cannot install the drivers from my OS CD. And I can't just run the SP2 update I've got on my harddrive.

So I go on the internet. I borrow a friend's windows computer to make a slipstream disc of XP with the SP2 update. I bring it home and realize, oh shoot... I selected to burn the folder instead of all the contents in the folder.

So now I have a CD that will work when the computer is on, but won't boot. I was just wondering if Macs can burn a bootable CD from folder contents. No iso. No dmg. No disc image, just the files.

Or had I really ought to just repeat the process on my friend's PC, correctly this time?

EDIT: I suppose I didn't need all the background. Basically: Can macs burn bootable CDs without image files?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Just the files? What? You dragged the contents of the image to the disc?

3. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

He said he doesn't have an *.iso file. He just has a disc with a folder containing all the XP files.

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

As far as I know, you will have to get the original image...

I'd recommend putting the .iso onto a thumb drive then burning it on the Mac to avoid anything like that happening again.

5. Jownation thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, okay, just checking. Thanks.

This is a way I found to make a slipstream XP disc on a Windows machine. No iso's involved, apparently. I will go back and borrow my friend's computer.