Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
I'm no expert in the ways of exercise itself, but I've definitely been in your position, and the two pieces of advice I would offer are:

1) Don't get any piece of big, hideous home cardio gear, especially a treadmill. If you don't have time to go out and run, you won't have time for a treadmill once the novelty wears off, and it's a big godawful eyesore you'll come to loathe having in your house.
Just like to chime in and say that I have a Nordic Track Ski Machine that I absolutely love. It's a great workout, I work up a good sweat after only about 5 minutes, and I'm in shape. You can adjust the tension, and my muscles are frequently sore when I up the tension. These machines are expensive. Mine is 15 years old and I still use it.

floyde

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
Monterrey, México
Doing stuff with your brain will burn calories also.

Read things that challenge your brain -- not the Oprah collection, but tutorials on difficult subjects like this. :D

I guess if I read some quantum physics books I'll end up like Nicole Ritchie :p

(Long post)

I like your advice, thanks.

Anyway, I was thinking... Shouldn't I have a calorie deficit every day in order to lose some weight? I'm not obese or anything, I'm just trying to lose Teh love handles™ and prevent Teh beer belly™ from manifesting itself, before it's too late. But I hear getting rid of those last few pounds is the hardest part :(

fotografica

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Boston
You should write down everything you eat during the day and get a calorie count. This way you know where you stand as far as a total goes. This site is handy http://www.calorie-count.com for a reference. Without knowing what you're diet is,it's hard to make suggestions..Basically,anything white is a no no (white flour/white sugar),high cal sodas,candy,chips etc..Drink lots of water,eat lean proteins, salads, oatmeal, veggies..Protein shakes (with whey isolate) are always good to add in the mix.As is flax seed oil which helps with metabolism.I know it's tough,but limit beer consumption :eek: Esp if you're drinking heavy ales/lagers..
The last pounds are always the hardest..Sometimes you hit a plateau. Something as simple as changing your workout/diet can start it up again. I know you'd prefer to exercise indoors,but honestly,that can be tough..And I wouldn't go blowing my wad on an expensive piece of equipment just yet. Go for a walk if nothing else.One of the best cardio exercises out there is jumping rope. Putting on some muscle will also help.. Situps/crunches,pushups (weighted or not),deep knee bends with a weight, dips/pullups between a chair are all exercises you can do at home with no expensive equiptment. Takes hard work,but nothing that lasts comes easy. Good luck...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Anyway, I was thinking... Shouldn't I have a calorie deficit every day in order to lose some weight? I'm not obese or anything, I'm just trying to lose Teh love handles™ and prevent Teh beer belly™ from manifesting itself, before it's too late. But I hear getting rid of those last few pounds is the hardest part :(

Yes and no... it really depends on what you're diet is like, as above, and also what your exercise is like. Remember, muscles weigh more than fat. If you do exercise that builds muscle tissue, you may gain weight or maintain your current weight, but reduce body fat. The net result is that your body will look and feel better, and you might even drop clothing sizes, without necessarily losing much weight.

If you do exercises that burn fat more and build muscles less (aerobic kinds of things like jogging), then you will be increasing your caloric expenditure during the exercise and also increasing your metabolism (meaning that your body will burn more calories while you're not exercising). So if you add aerobic exeol, rcise and don't change your diet at all, if you were stable weightwise before, you might start losing weight.

OTOH, a rational diet -- particularly trying to eat more foods high in micronutrients and lower in macronutrients, like leafy green vegetables, etc, is always good. As mentioned above, if you're going to cut calories from your diet, cut calories that are associated with fewer micronutrients (alcohol, sweets, breads and white rice, etc). You might try a gradual combination -- drop 10% of your daily caloric intake, perhaps, and add in 30-45 minutes of exercise. The effect of that should be fairly dramatic.

Regarding love handles, etc, it varies from person to person, but it is quite possible some areas of body fat will be very hard for you to sculpt. You'll still never regret investing in your fitness. ;)

nizz

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2004
north philly
I bought a treadmill and lost 25 pounds over 3 months last year
Usually did 5-6 km everyday, 1 hour if you walk the whole time.
But once you get in shape you can finish in 25-30 minutes.

VERY IMPORTANT: even if you are low on time, you just can't skip the warm-up or warm-down routines. Please dedicate at least 5-10 minutes for both

edit: I dont' know why so many of you guys are against treadmills. I tried a lot of things before my treadmill. Going to the gym was something I enjoyed and saw a lot of progress, but in between driving there and waiting in line for most of the equipment, it took WAY too much of my time. I also tried using a jump rope. It didn't work out for me because as I wasn't in great shape, I got tired VERY fast, under 5 minutes. I loved my treadmill because I can reach the 6 km mark everyday even if I'm tired. I can just walk the rest. Also you can watch tv and just zone out, keeping your mind off being tired.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
I've got your treadmill right here, and something I will be starting soon.

jumprope.gif

Usually did 5-6 miles everyday, 1 hour if you walk the whole time.
But once you get in shape you can finish in 25-30 minutes.

Seriously, you average 5 min miles? Really?!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Seriously, you average 5 min miles? Really?!

Agreed. It can be done, but it's not at all a realistic expectation that most people, even when they're in shape and running consistently, will be able to run 5-6 minute miles.... If I push myself for some time to train for speed, I can get into the high sixes. Very few regular runners (the ones who are "competitive" -- they make a small subset) can run 5 minute miles, let alone for 6 miles straight.

For that matter, very few people can walk a 10 minute mile, either. That's just ridiculous. I have really long legs and my walking gait breaks at 5mph (12 min/mile).

soberbrain

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2008
I want to lose some weight and I've been trying to reduce my calorie consumption n' junk, but I've yet to do something in the calorie burning department. I'm taking yoga classes 2 times a week, but I guess that I'm still way behind in physical activity :eek:. Are there any exercises that can help me burn calories? Push-ups, and that sort of thing? Maybe I should get a treadmill? I don't usually have time to go out running so I really want something that I can do at home. Thanks

I use an application from Calorieking.com ($45) that tracks calories and exercise. I'm sure there are free or cheaper alternatives, but this one is simple to use and works for me. I find myself eating more fruits and vegetables since they satisfy my hunger without adding a lot of calories in my meals.

I've only been calorie counting and seldom exercise (I'm planning to incorporate more exercise. I bought a Gazelle and free weights so I can work out at home.) but I have already lost 10 pounds in a month. I allow myself a couple of meals on the weekends where I don't count calories. By indulging on something I enjoy on the weekends, I am able to stay satisfied with my meals, but still lose weight since I am watching what I eat most of the week.

My long term goal is to drop 25 pounds by the end of the year and I have short term goals of losing 5 pounds to give myself something to celebrate.

There's more than one way to lose weight. The best way is to find your balance of good eating and exercise and also to find ways to stick to it.

Kinderhauz

macrumors member
May 28, 2008
Why do you have to be in your home? By far, the easiest way to burn calories is to go for a jog (or a walk) through your neighborhood. It's fun, it burns lots of calories, and its free.

I lost about 55 pounds last year. I think the main secret to losing weight is simply DISCIPLINE. People go around debating "which diet works." The truth is, ANY diet works, if you ACTUALLY DO IT. Most people try out some "diet," but they don't follow it. Then they throw up their hands and claim it doesn't work.

My advice for diet:

- In the beginning, don't eat more than 1500 calories a day (I actually would eat even less than this, but for a male that's not really enough food).

- Eat five meals a day at 300 calories each. If you spread your meals out throughout the day you can cut your calorie consumption in half and your body won't really notice it that much. Eating many meals throughout the day also keeps your metabolism going.

- Eat foods that are high in weight but low in calories. Foods that weigh more give more satiety. Also, fiber and protein provide a lot of satiety on few calories.

- BAD - Trans fat, sugar, sodium, saturated fat (do not eat red meat and most white stuff)

- GOOD - Fiber, protein, unsaturated fats, vitamins and minerals. Eat lots of plants -- leafy, green vegetables like spinach are very low in calories and packed to the brim with nutrients. For proteins, go with lean proteins such as salmon, tuna, chicken, or turkey. Spinach and salmon are pretty much the two best things a human being can put in her body. If you must eat bread or pasta, make sure they are whole grain.

As for exercise, just do SOMETHING. Walk at least 3 miles a day. It's not hard. After I got into better shape I would run five miles a day. I actually got to the point where I felt weird if I didn't work out during the day. Exercise can actually be kind of addicting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.