Burning Direct from Camcorder?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by thewallbanger, Sep 27, 2008.

1. thewallbanger macrumors newbie

I've used iMovie for some time to import, convert, edit, and export. Then I had to go to iDVD and set up menus, titles, etc. Well, I'm now falling behind and need to just burn the raw footage as quickly as possible to make room on my camcorder's hard drive.

Is there any burning software out there that could just read the data from the camcorder's HDD and burn on the fly without having to make a copy on my Macbook?

I have Toast 8, but haven't found this functionality yet.

2. 11800506 macrumors 65816

You can use OneStep DVD mode in iDvd to do this

3. thewallbanger thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, the problem with iDVD is that the camcorder I'm using does not have tape. It's tapeless and running off of the camcorder's hard drive. iDVD is incorrectly looking for a firewire connected DV camera.

So when I connect the camera to the MacBook I see the mounted camcorder drive on the desktop. When I explore the file structure there are various subfolders which ultimately lead to .MOD files for each clip. This drive appears even if the camera is set to VCR mode.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

4. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Then it would seem that you would have to import the video clips in iMovie and then just burn them onto a DVD without doing any editing as I don't know of any other way. Another option would to just buy an external hard drive which are cheap these days and then reformat it to Mac OS Extended which would allow you to keep all of your clips on there.