burning divx avi files to dvd

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mdollaz83, Aug 15, 2008.

1. mdollaz83 macrumors newbie

I am trying to burn divx avi files to a dvd using toast 9 but am having some troubles. I burnt a movie that has two parts two it. They were two seperate avi files for CD1 and CD2. Each part is about an hour and twenty minutes long and takes up about 4GB on the disc and has about 300mb to spare.

I went to burn it and it worked with no problem, everything was good. When I popped it into my dvd player it came up "bad disc" and didnt work. Then I put it in another DVD player I had, a black screen came up for a few seconds then the dvd player stopped. If someone could help me I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

3. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

or you need to recompress in iDVD/DVD Studio Pro.

4. mdollaz83 thread starter macrumors newbie

and how do i go about recompressing in idvd....then what do i do after that using toast

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

iDVD and Toast do the same thing. Each will allow you to setup and burn a DVD. It is my understanding that Toast has more options. Recompressing (aka recoding) will allow you to play your DVD in a regular DVD player. You will not need a DivX-compatible player. OTOH, recoding runs the risk of generational losses. Actually, it is not a risk; it is a certainty. The only question is whether or not the generational loss is noticeable to the viewer.

6. timimbo85 macrumors regular

timimbo85

Same Question

Hey, no means to steal your thread, but its better than starting the same one over. I am trying to put a .mov on a DVD, I didn't know it was just a data disk, so I exported it in iDVD and the quality was pretty poor. The .mov is a 1080i60 hd movie. Pretty large. What is the best way to get the same quality in iDVD? I also have dvd pro, i think its called, is that better?

7. Edge100 macrumors 68000

You need Visual Hub (http://www.techspansion.com/visualhub/)

Does exactly what you need. Will combine mutiple files onto a single DVD (or you can encode for multiple discs, if you choose). No fuss. Even creates the disc image for you so you can just fire that up in Toast and burn.