burning double layer dvd on 10.3.9 powerbook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by hanscome, May 19, 2009.

1. hanscome macrumors newbie

Is it possible to burn a DVD onto a double layer blank DVD+R using the
    following:
    I have a Powerbook 10.3.9 aluminium, with a Matshita DVD-R UJ-816.
    Will this burn a double layer or do I need some additional software. I
    presently use Toast 6.0 for normal burning.
    thanks in advance.

2. goMac macrumors 603

3. moiety macrumors member

Open System Profiler and look under the Disc Burning section. If it can burn Dual Layer, it will mention DVD+R DL or DVD-R DL.

It probably can't. I have an MBP and it can't burn DL either.

4. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

As far as I know, the PowerBook G4s which had these (if any did) came with Tiger. A later model PBG4 (April 05, 2 weeks pre Tiger) only had a single layer drive (for burning). This makes it very unlikely.

5. hanscome thread starter macrumors newbie

new drive for DL

Thanks.
    I agree I will need an additional external drive for dual layer, so, any recommendations as to make/model. There seem to be so many with a massive price differential - £15-£90. Is there really that much difference between capabilities of these drives.

6. philips macrumors regular

philips

I have old external Sony DVD+/-R DL drive. Do NOT recommend. Overall burning quality - regardless of used interface (USB 2.0 or FireWire) - is pretty bad. Also they have messed up, Windows-only firmware update. And believe me, for writing DL, you would need firmware updates: compatibility matrix of drives v. firmware versions v. blanks is quite sparse.

Some people recommended in past LaCie drives. Never had one, thus no personal experience, but they at least officially support Mac OS. Chances that they will work better with Macs are greater than that of generic PC brands.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I owned a Samsung SE-S084B; USB bus-powered.

It was plug and play, one of the slim models, and only cost me me $50US, so about £30. I don't know how it is in the UK, but it worked for me.