Burning Downloaded Movies onto DVD using MacBook - What's the best software/hardware?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by edzvs, Nov 3, 2008.

1. edzvs macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I burned a movie onto DVD with my MacBook using iDVD. During playback in a DVD player, I encountered a couple instances of stuttering during the movie.

Here are some details:
    - used a Memorex DVD-R 16x 4.7 GB 120 min as media
    - used iDVD to create a simple intro and then burned
    - during burn, I did do some internet surfing (I don't know if that would have an effect or not)

After encountering the stuttering, I'm wondering if I need to change the media (is there something better than the parameters on the Memorex DVD-R that would be better for playback)? Or, do I abandon iDVD and get Roxio Toast or Roxio Creator or a different 3rd party piece of software for burning?

Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm new to the MacBook (and DELIGHTED with it) and new to burning DVDs, so pardon any simplicity in the questions.

Thanks so much.

2. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

lag, glitches, or errors in the DVD may be from encoding. I have it when I run the mac too long, making it low on memory, and then try to surf the web or something while burning.

iDVD takes a long while to burn, I use VisualHub to burn my movies. There are no menus, just a video CD or DVD that plays right away when inserted into a DVD Player.

The problem could also be from a bad video file to start with.

3. Waterbelly macrumors newbie

get toast. its pretty much the greatest software ever in my opinion. Just try it out, you can rip, burn, share, and probably tons of other things i dont even know about. good luck.

4. timestoby macrumors 6502

id like to know the best program to change .movs or mp4 or any other apple movie type to divx or avi etc. someone did once tell me that ffmpegx is wot i need but upon reading it says i have to install binarys etc then install the program. where would i install binarys,where do i put them etc. is there anything else that doesnt sound complicated