Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hyeok

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Hello,

I recently burned a couple of .avi and .mpg video files to a dual-layer DVD+R as a data disc (DVD-ROM) using the program "Burn" which is, in essence, a nicer front-end to Mac OS X's burning capabilities.

However, after burning, the video files on the disc are now unplayable. It seems like they are corrupt.

Am I doing something wrong? Do dual-layer discs need special settings to make it work as data discs?

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
What model Mac do you have? Only Macs released in the past 3 years or so have DL-DVD burners. You can see what formats your burner supports by going to :apple: -> About This Mac -> More Info.

Barring that, it could be that the burn just failed. Try burning again. You shouldn't have to do anything special to burn a DL-DVD.

hyeok

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
What model Mac do you have? Only Macs released in the past 3 years or so have DL-DVD burners. You can see what formats your burner supports by going to :apple: -> About This Mac -> More Info.

Barring that, it could be that the burn just failed. Try burning again. You shouldn't have to do anything special to burn a DL-DVD.

My Macbook is only 1.5 years old. I just checked the System Info and it seems to support DL burning.

I just tried burning to a single-layer disc, and I got the same error! When I try playing the video file from the disc, Quicktime says "The movie could not be opened. The file is not a movie file."

Meanwhile, the same video file plays fine on my HDD. Furthermore, burning any other kind of data seems to work fine. When I try to copy the .avi file off of the DVD back to the HDD, it says "File could not be copied"

I should mention that the .avi file is about 2.5GB. Is there some sort of file-system restriction on DVD-roms for files this large?

Edit: According to this post: (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f48/burning-large-files-dvd-157688/), the Joilet/ISO standard for DVDs do not support files larger than 2GB. I will try burning again with the UDF standard and see what happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.