Burning Dual Layer DVD+Rs Crashes OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ungraphic, Jan 23, 2008.

1. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

Thats basically the problem in a nut shell. I can't seem to burn a DVD+R DL, everytime I attempt to do this the system crashes completely and I get the transparent window telling me to restart the system. To me, this feels a lot like the blue screen of death.

Anyone else having a similar problem? Have there been similar problems reported? Its definitely not the discs either, I've tried using Philips and Memorex DVD+R DLs and neither work, however, burning this stuff on Tiger was fine, however I'm not sure if Leopard is to blame because i dont remember if I had burned any DVD+R DLs successfully using Leopard.

I've got a first gen. Mac Pro with a PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D.

2. davidleon macrumors member

I have Leopard installed and Verbatim DVD+R DL discs burn fine with Toast and Disk Utility.

3. skrutzen macrumors regular

I just came across the same problem. A friend asked me to burn a file onto a DL D+R Disc and I get this error:

"the disc can't be burned, because the device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media"

I just did a search at the apple forums and some (albeit what seems like a select few) are having the same issue.

4. ungraphic thread starter macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

I cant find any info on this problem. Im tempted to split my hard drive, install tiger and see if burning a disc from there is successful.

5. ungraphic thread starter macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

Ok, I just installed Tiger (OS X 10.4.11), a fresh copy. I've also installed Toast 8.0.3, my Philips DVD+R DL burned completely through, it is now in the verification process as I'm writing this.

So, the problem definitely lies within OS X Leopard 10.5.1 running Toast 8.0.3, I'm guessing some kind of incompatibility.

6. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I can't burn a DVD+R DL either.
    I get the "can't calibrate laser" problem or a "failed to communicate with drive" error. I've made way too many expensive coasters.
    I tried a DVD-R and a DVD+R, they both worked.
    The research seems to point to a problem in Leopard.
    10.5.3 fix please!

This is on a new MacBook.

7. ungraphic thread starter macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

I went back to OS X Leopard and burning onto a 'burn folder' from within OS X itself but not Toast worked fine. I've been avoiding toast the initial problem.

8. caliguy2211 macrumors newbie

HEEEEEEELLLLLP!!!!!!!!

I am also having this problem as of late. I was able to burn dual layers before, but only Verbatim and TDK. Now I tried it and nothing....Laser failed blah blah.

I tried the international fix....nothing
    cd cleaner, nothing
    pram settings and compressed air....was able to burn a tdk dl dvd

tried the verbatim....back to square one. I am using 13 inch macbook 2,2 intel dual core osx 10.5.8

for all the expense with Mac..they should work

can i get an amen, and some help.