burning dual-layer dvds

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by coxjamir, Mar 24, 2008.

1. coxjamir macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am having a huge issue burning dvd dls. I used mac the ripper to rip one of my dvds and now have the file on my computer. I am using an external harddrive to burn because my computer won't burn the dual layers. I tried just using my computer and doing the burn disc thing, but it says there is not enough room on the dvd. which I do not get because there are over 8 GB and the movie is under 8 GB total.

I then downloaded Burn or whatever because I cannot afford to buy toast, etc. and I tried to burn the disc from there but it just kept saying waiting for blank disc to be inserted... and nothing ever happened.

I am so stuck and I don't know what to do. Please help :(

Edit: Now I have gotten it to acknowledge that there is a disc, but it, too, is saying that there is not enough room, even though it says that the file is 7.7GB and I know the disc holds 8.5 GB. Does Burn not do dual layers? Is there something that I am doing wrong? Do I have to do something special? Please help :(

2. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

Well, you did not mention the specs of your computer. Do you even have a dual-layer DVD burner? If not, a dual-layer disc will not burn as dual-layer.

3. coxjamir thread starter macrumors newbie

no, my computer does not have a dl DVD burner, so it just spit out the disc when I put it in. My external burner didn't say whether or not it would burn dl DVDs, but it didn't spit out the disc and actually let me attempt to burn onto it, so I figured that it does. But, it is saying there is not enough space. Which I do not get.

4. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

It is likely saying you do not have the space because it is probably a single-layer DVD burner. If so, it can burn up to 4.7 GB.

5. coxjamir thread starter macrumors newbie

That makes sense. I found a computer at school that is capable of during dual-layer dvds. Thank you so much for your help!