burning dvd in idvd.. need alternative solution bad.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by tinknology, Mar 27, 2009.

1. tinknology macrumors newbie

hello,
    i created a dvd in idvd with 200 pictures and 30 minutes worth of video. when i went to burn, it took/is taking forever! the 30 minutes of video is making it go very slow. it is on stage three-encoding.

what can i do? i researched and saw something about converting to mpeg2. whats that about? i also saw that someone said to do something with the video_ts folder? what else can i do? any suggestion is appreciated. will download freeware.

EDIT: im willing to stick this dvd out and let it go all the way and burn, so if you know of a good cloning DVD to DVD freeware then that would be greatly appreciated.

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

Are you going to make multiple copies? Make iDVD burn to a disc image and then use Disk Utility to burn multiple copies of the image. It will go alot faster that way. Then you just leave it going in the background while you go about your way.

3. tinknology thread starter macrumors newbie

im really stupid when it comes to this stuff, and i apologize in advance.
    so i make it save as disc image, then drag the disc image onto DVD's?

4. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Not quite. Use the burn-to-disk-image option in iDVD's file menu. iDVD will ask you where you want to save the disk image and what to call it, and will then render the DVD assets and make the disk image (a .img file). Make sure you remember where you told iDVD to save the disk image to. Then, fire up Disk Utility, drag the disk image to beneath the list of drives / locations in the left pane of the Disk Utility window, throw a DVD-R into your drive, and click "burn." For each new DVD-R, just click "burn" again. Should you wish to make more copies at any time in the future, just open up disk utility, drag-and-drop the .img file, and burn, baby, burn!

5. tinknology thread starter macrumors newbie

worked like a charm...but...
    went to toss it in my sony dvd player..and it said "playback is prohibited by area" did some research, and found that my memorex DVD-R's aren't the best....but is there something wrong with how i saved/burnt in disk utility? or do i need to get better DVDs?
    (these dvds are going to 30 different houses so i can't include instructions on how to disable the area function on their dvd players)

6. huntercr macrumors 65816

No that sounds like you have the wrong region code set on your DVD-R drive.
    ( or vice versa )

Where do you live?

7. the vj macrumors 6502a

Do it with Toaster if you have it.

iDVD and DVD Studio Pro are like Windows 95 when it comes to burning and formating, they are the biggest crap ever released by Apple.

What I do is to create a Disc Image just as you did and burn that image from Adaptec Toaster.

Most of the times the header of the DVD that Apples write is not godo for most DVD players but Toast does a great job on that.

I have burned thousands of DVDs and I have been trough a lot when it comes to burning and the best solution is to do everything on iDVD, create the image and Toaster.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

agreed. Took me almost an hour to burn a DVD in DVD studio pro for class with menus the movie and a bounus feature. Both videos combined were under 5 minutes. :eek:

9. tinknology thread starter macrumors newbie

Midwest USA. how do i change my region code?
    (talk about a newbie)

10. huntercr macrumors 65816

Actually I just read that iDVD burns for all regions, so the only thing I can think of is:

Did you accidently set your project to be PAL instead of NTSC?

This happens when you try to burn videos that have their own region code, but that is not true in this case since you're simply making a home movie with pictures and your own video, right?

I have googled for your problem with Sony DVD players and other people have complained about this too, but I've not heard any thing that conclusively says it's the fault of the player.

11. tinknology thread starter macrumors newbie

just checked, my project is NTSC.....now what?
    what were you talking about with my DVD-R's region code?

12. Macpropro80 macrumors 6502

Really? it takes me 5 minutes to burn a dvd in dvd studio pro.

13. huntercr macrumors 65816

It's the DVD drive's region code. The first time you used your DVD drive to play a movie, the computer should have asked you what region you wanted it set to. If you picked something other than North America, you could end up with this problem. Though I read that iDVD creates region free DVDs.
    You might want to check up on your DVD player model, like I said when I googled for this, a bunch of people said basically that sony's are very picky.
    Can't hurt to try your disc in someone elses DVD player just to see.

14. PaulMoore macrumors regular

Sony doesn't like region free discs if they are in the wrong format- eg PAL discs won't play in an NTSC player even if they are Region 0 (or vice versa).