Burning DVD or DVD-RW's: Will I need Toast?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tlsullivan, Jul 27, 2009.

1. tlsullivan macrumors newbie

Does a new user like myself benefit from Roxio Toast? Or does the software that comes with Mac OS X capable of performing some simple CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R and DVR-RW burning fuctions. I want to organize some old digital images and want to get them off old CD's onto newer (better quality) DVD's and I may temporarily use some DVD-RW's and do my final burn on DVD's. Thanks in advance.

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I'm a relatively new user (since April), have burnt various DVDs and CDs, data, audio, dvd, the only thing I have used outside of the standard Mac stuff is an app called 'burn' and I cant recall why I even downloaded that, but it was free anyway.

3. eliteneo macrumors member

nonononono do not get toast
    all you have to use is disk utility
    it comes on every mac preinstalled

4. tlsullivan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for saving me some $$$

Thanks!

5. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

No you don't need Toast for what you want to do but if you start burning ISO files and such even though Burn will do it Toast is a more elaborate, much like Nero on the Windows side...

6. tlsullivan thread starter macrumors newbie

Won't be burning ISO files ..

Sounds like I have what I need. I won't be getting elaborate with ISO files. If I decide to clone my drive as an additional safety net to Time Machine, I'll go the route of something like SuperDuper and will use an external Firewire 800 drive. Thanks again. Lots to learn and lots of helpful & friendly knowledge here. Hopefully someday I will be able to help a newbie.

7. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Disk Utility can even clone drives with it's Restore feature.

People say that the third party cloners are better as they retain some info that DU does not, but having used it to restore literally hundreds of drives, I've never had any major problems with it.

8. Freyqq macrumors 68040

download simplyburns. It is free and does most everything toast does...including ISO burns.

9. tlsullivan thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried to add some files to a new DVD-RW. I thought I would be able to add files through the Finder. I guess I was expecting the whole process to be like Windows Explorer where you have InCD and you can just drag and drop files into/onto the DVD-RW or CD-RW. Okay, so I opened Disk Utility and after going through the Help Files it looks like I need to make a Disk Image aka a place to put my files that I want to eventually burn to the DVD-RW. Is this the correct concept? I need to grasp new terms like disk image and think of that as a new bucket right? Drop my files in there and then I can burn it to my DVD-RW. I love my new iMac but I was expecting the whole DVD-RW/CD-RW process to be less complicated.

I'm going to take a Freyqq's recommendation and check out SimplyBurns. Thanks!

10. challiman macrumors member

Burning using Finder instead of iDisk

I was going to burn a DVD and got a message that if it was going to be viewed on a Windows machine I should burn it through the Finder, rather than iDisk. I'm really surprised. I really want to watch the DVD on my TV, through a regular DVD player, but now I'm wondering if that will work, also.

Any who have done this, please share your experience.