Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macpro06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
I recently switched to Mac and have the Mac Pro and dont know which program that will let me burn original DVDs with my old PC i used DVD X Copy that was so easy it reduced everything for you easier than copying cds!! so what MAC program can i use????? PLEASE HELP??

tk421

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2005
Los Angeles
What kind of DVD are you burning? Finder can burn a data DVD. iDVD can burn a movie.

Put a blank DVD in your computer and a dialog box should pop up asking you what application you want. If you're burning data, select "Open Finder" and the blank DVD will show up like a normal drive. Drag whatever you want onto it. When you're ready to burn it, there is a button in the top-right corner of the DVD's window that says burn. Click it. Or if you go to eject it, the eject button is replaced by a burn button (it looks like a radioactive symbol or something).

iDVD will let you create your own movie DVDs. Play around with it, it's pretty easy.

There are plenty of other ways to burn DVDs. If this doesn't answer your question, give us more info and we can help!

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
From what I can gather, you're trying to make copies of DVD's correct? Well, there are two ways of doing it.

1) Is to use the Disk Utility already built into OSX. All you have to do is insert the disk that you want to copy, open Disk Utilities (Finder -> Applications ->Utilities -> Disk Utility) then select create disk image. After that insert the blank DVD and select burn from Disk Image.

2) Use a program called Toast Titanium(not free). It has a One-Button copy function just like DVD X Copy.

Hope this answers your questions.:)

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
...and if you're backing up your movies: MacTheRipper then Toast (select: Video > DVD-Video from VIDEO_TS, and drag the VIDEO_TS folder on top).

This should be a sticky :D

creeps7g

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2007
dvd wont play

after i burnt the movie on a dvd,why wont it play on a house dvd player?? it only plays on my laptop...i've played burnt dvd's on my home dvd before..

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
...1) Is to use the Disk Utility already built into OSX. All you have to do is insert the disk that you want to copy, open Disk Utilities (Finder -> Applications ->Utilities -> Disk Utility) then select create disk image. After that insert the blank DVD and select burn from Disk Image.

Just curious if this works with a movie I'm trying to make a backup copy of, or if this method only works with data DVD's.

Or if I use MacTheRipper, will it keep the menu structure or just the show.

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
I just decided to go with MacTheRipper.

The DVD I'm trying to make a copy of says it has a capacity of 6.5GB, but the blank Apple DVD I have is only 4.7GB. Is there a way to compress the DVD so all of the DVD fits on the blanks disk? Also, how can I check to make certain that all 6.5GB are being used?

Thanks!!!

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Just extract all of the DVD using mactheripper to get the video_ts folder without the encryption on it. Once you get that folder you can go ahead and remove the dvd. The next step just depends on the size of the DVD. I use toast and all you do is click the copy tab, and then click dvd-video from video_ts. Now you can click burn from here and it will ask if its a single layer disk or a dual layer disc. You select single layer since thats what you want and now this will/should create an exact replica of your original dvd with the menu structure and everything, it will just reduce the quality a little bit to fit it on your dvd.

Option 2 in toast is you select the copy tab, dvd-video from video_ts, import your video ts folder in the big white area. Then once you see your video_ts folder there, you should be able to click underneath for "copy options". There you can choose whether you want the whole dvd with the menus or just the featured movie without the menus.

As far as other programs that can compress the file size, I only know off the top of my head popcorn and toast (both roxio).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.