Burning FCP rendered file to data disc

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by JinsterBeady, Nov 7, 2011.

1. JinsterBeady macrumors member

Hey guys,
    I'm converting some VHS tapes for a friend and they have asked to have the videos as quicktime files.
    I am more familiar with creating a DVD for a DVD player, so using iDVD to create menus and burn to disc. When I have done this, I have used the 'Quicktime Movie' option when exporting allowing the file size to be quite small as it is not self contained.
    If I understand correctly I will not be able to do this and burn to disc because my friend will not be able to play them on her computer without all of the files used to edit it.

Is there a way around this?
    Will I have to use one disc for every VHS I convert? (She has 13!)

Please tell me there is a simple solution!

(My process though lengthy, is to have my DVD recorder attached to the VHS, record the video then upload onto my computer and burn from there. I have not purchased any third party software to get the VHS onto my computer).

Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks guys.

2. Macman45, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

As I Understand It

You should have an option to include all files in the burn. That way, your friend will be able to play the DVD as long as he / she has Quicktime installed. One word of caution though....Unless you are starting with high quality video, you are going to notice a very large quality loss in the finished product.

3. cgbier macrumors 6502a

You got it right. A reference file won't help your buddy, as it actually is nothing else than a list of pointers.

Why don't you just create "real" DVDs with iDVD or DVDSP?

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Thats A Better

Solution....And you won't lose quality. Your friend will still be able to play them on PC OR Tv.

5. JinsterBeady thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Very curious about the iDVD option.
    Have you any more info on that? Is it just something I select?

I've also thought that I should just ask her to lend me a portable hard drive however I would like to offer her CD's.

----------

Having just thought about it more I realise you probably mean she would be able to play it on DVD player software on her computer?

If this is the case she wants them as quicktime files. =S

6. Arrowk127 macrumors newbie

If she wants them as quicktime files you have to make them self contained. One thing I didn't hear mentioned was what compression she wanted. Quicktime's .mov file is just a container and can accept multiple compression formats. h.264 saves a lot of space and might allow you to fit multiple videos onto one disc depending on length.

7. careypo macrumors member

You got it right. Keep it as a DVD and you'll be able to play on any PC or DVD player going forward.

8. JinsterBeady thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys!
    Have got it all figured.

Love this place.

=D