burning home videos to a dvd

majaca

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2013
When I bought this desktop, the Apple store removed all pics and movies from old desktop, and put them on this one….they are found under 'Finder' and then 'movies'.

I need to get these on a dvd. When I was on the movies section, I highlighted one but could not find ONE icon or area that said to 'save to'. I tried all possibilities-file, edit, view, go.

Can someone please advise? Will I need to, should I move all the movies to 'iMovie'? If so, how is that done?

Please be super specific as I am NOT tech-y at all. And, as a result, I will just have to re-post tons of times for clarification. Thanks!

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Do you want to put these videos on a dvd as movie files that you will need to play on a computer, or do you want a video dvd that will play in dvd players on to a TV?

As well as iMovie, do you also have iDVD(it will be in your Applications folder if you do)?

majaca

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2013
Do you want to put these videos on a dvd as movie files that you will need to play on a computer, or do you want a video dvd that will play in dvd players on to a TV?

As well as iMovie, do you also have iDVD(it will be in your Applications folder if you do)?
I do not have iDVD. This computer was bought/built just a few months ago. I wish to transfer the short, many movies of my children, etc….to a physical dvd disk, to play on any other machine, be it dvd player or computer.

Thank you for your help in advance.

PS I do have a dvd burner with this computer.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
I do not have iDVD. This computer was bought/built just a few months ago. I wish to transfer the short, many movies of my children, etc….to a physical dvd disk, to play on any other machine, be it dvd player or computer.
To play the dvd in a dvd player onto a TV, you will need to make a Video DVD. You can do this with Burn as suggested by satcomer. Just make sure that you choose Video DVD from the options. That dvd will also be playable on a computer with a dvd player application.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.