burning home videos to a dvd

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by majaca, Dec 14, 2013.

1. majaca macrumors member

When I bought this desktop, the Apple store removed all pics and movies from old desktop, and put them on this one….they are found under 'Finder' and then 'movies'.

I need to get these on a dvd. When I was on the movies section, I highlighted one but could not find ONE icon or area that said to 'save to'. I tried all possibilities-file, edit, view, go.

Can someone please advise? Will I need to, should I move all the movies to 'iMovie'? If so, how is that done?

Please be super specific as I am NOT tech-y at all. And, as a result, I will just have to re-post tons of times for clarification. Thanks!

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Do you want to put these videos on a dvd as movie files that you will need to play on a computer, or do you want a video dvd that will play in dvd players on to a TV?

As well as iMovie, do you also have iDVD(it will be in your Applications folder if you do)?

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Also the free application Burn could help you. I hope you have a DVD burner on your Mac.

4. majaca thread starter macrumors member

I do not have iDVD. This computer was bought/built just a few months ago. I wish to transfer the short, many movies of my children, etc….to a physical dvd disk, to play on any other machine, be it dvd player or computer.

Thank you for your help in advance.

PS I do have a dvd burner with this computer.

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

To play the dvd in a dvd player onto a TV, you will need to make a Video DVD. You can do this with Burn as suggested by satcomer. Just make sure that you choose Video DVD from the options. That dvd will also be playable on a computer with a dvd player application.