burning in itunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AL2TEACH, May 18, 2010.

1. AL2TEACH macrumors 6502

I was wondering if I burned dvd's of the songs in itunes would the songs still have the tags and artwork when played in a windows computer with itunes.
    thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you burn an audio CD that can be played on any CD player, no. If you simply copy .mp3 files to a CD, maybe. The tags will copy, but it depends on if the artwork is actually in the .mp3 file, or stored in a separate artwork folder, as iTunes does when you download from the iTunes Store.

3. AL2TEACH thread starter macrumors 6502

mmm, so the artwork I got from amazon and others will not copy onto the dvd?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You mean CD and not DVD, right? For music? Are you wanting to play it in the CD player in your car, or other CD players? If so, the answer is no, the artwork will not copy.

5. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

I believe you can burn a data DVD, which should retain the artwork and other info. It wouldn't be "playable", but it could then be imported into another computer.

Or am I thinking about doing a backup to DVD?

6. AL2TEACH thread starter macrumors 6502

dvd not cd's. it would take too many cd's, lol. and it would be used in a windows computer.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So you're talking about simply storing mp3 files on the DVD, not burning an audio CD that could be played in any CD player. That's the answer I was trying to find. In that case, the artwork should copy, if the artwork is stored in the .mp3 files and not in a separate folder, as I described earlier. I have noticed that in some cases, the artwork doesn't display properly in iTunes for Windows, so you end up having to re-add it to the files. This is true, even if you directly copy the files via a network, without using DVDs.

8. AL2TEACH thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks a ton. a shame about some of the artwork though.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can always get it there. It just may take a few extra steps.