Burning issues

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by sludeking, Nov 6, 2011.

1. sludeking macrumors newbie

Hi,

Ever since upgrading to Lion I haven't been able to burn anything (cd, dvd, etc.).

This is a bit frustrating as I've needed to do so a few times but haven't been able to.

Anyone know of a fix for this? Driver updates, something?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Why can't you burn anything? Do you not know how/where to do it or are you getting an error message? Which program(s) are you using?

Post any error messages you get.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

4. sludeking thread starter macrumors newbie

No I can't burn using anything. Tried with Disk Utility, iTunes, Toast, etc. Nothing works.

----------

The error I got this time round, was due to a medium write error.

I've had one before that was due to something else. Don't remember what that was though.

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Long shot.

Have you verified and repair disk permissions while booting from the recovery partition?

Worth a go, and won't do any harm.

6. sludeking thread starter macrumors newbie

No I haven't. Care to explain how i do so, so I can give it a try.

Would be appreciated.

7. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

First you need Lion Recovery installed (either on a USB Memory sick or on your hard drive)

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1433 (download file)
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4848 (instructions)

Once all the above has been done, then boot to the Recovery Partition and select Utilities > Disk Utility.

Click verify and repair permissions on the affected HDD.

8. sludeking thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok ok. And you're certain this won't affect my computer and any files I have?

9. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Yes, this will not affect your files.

However it is always wise to have a backup. Have you looked at Time Machine? Its included on Lion and creates hourly (or any interval back ups) I have my iMac backed up every 24 hours.

Edit*

The Recovery Partition may already be installed if you Mac shipped with Lion! This will save you having to do some of the steps listed above.

10. sludeking thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I just need to wait til I get home from my parents before I can make a backup. But will give it a shot and see what happens.

Thanks for the help so far. Will write back if I still can't burn. :)

11. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Do that. We will get to the bottom of this.

12. kftrainer macrumors regular

kftrainer

Unable to burn

I am also unable to burn any data, photos to a compatible disc as well. I am glad someone brought up the issue. I thought it was an individual problem.

So here is my dilemma , I dont have any external drive but have The Recovery HD on my disk inside the main partition . Does that make sense?

I have also ran disk permissions earlier just on my computer (the main drive) with Disk Utility and did not have any change in the issue. So is there anything I can do to resolve this aside from obtaining an external drive as you outlined above.

Thanks this has been a issue for the last 6 months I would say. It would be great to get this resolved thanks

13. sludeking thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey. So I found time to verify and repair, etc. No luck. I still can't burn any data to any type of disc.

=(