Burning iTunes songs to a CD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Morod, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Hi all,
    First off, I have never burned a CD in my life (I know, pitiful). But I do have a lot of iTunes (not iTunes+) songs that I want to back up to a CD without DRM preferably. How do I do this?
    I have a late 2007 Al iMac, 2.4 GHz with 4MB RAM, running OS X 10.5.4. and iTunes 7.7.
    Also, I have heard Verbatim CR-R is a good brand to use. Correct?
    Thanks in advance for any help/advice!
    Morod

2. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

By iTunes songs you mean that you bought them from the iTunes store, correct? I haven't bought songs off the iTunes store in years! Seriously! Why you ask? Because every song that you buy from iTunes is protected by law. Which means that they will burn on a CD, but they will not play any sound. Sorry for the bad news, but who knows maybe I'm wrong. It's been a while since I last burned a CD with purchased music on it. It may have changed.

And another thing! You have CD-R, correct. If so, GOOD! NEVER BUY CD-RW, THEY DONT PLAY IN MOST CD PLAYERS!

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

This is incorrect. You can take any iTunes DRM track (or any iTunes track) and burn as a Red Book CD (not MP3) and it will play in any CD player.

4. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

Uhm i didnt read anything, but if no one said this you can just make a playlist and tell it to burn to the cd, but actually dont cdrw usually only work in computers. But i only burnt one cd in my life and was on itunes. And this is if its not purchased by itunes.

5. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

This is why I said, "maybe I'm wrong. It's been a while since I last burned a CD with purchased music on it. It may have changed."

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you want to back up your files, that is an option, but you can't play the music on anything; it will all be data files for the sole purpose of backup; if you intend to back up to something to listen to, you can burn a playlist like a regular CD and it will play in CD players, but you won't be able to burn many songs on one disc.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You have always been able to burn a Red Book CD from iTunes DRM tracks. I get the free singles every week (I only buy CD's) and burn them to a CD-RW then rip them back as Apple Losleses to remove DRM with no loss of quality (other than the original compression).

8. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

Thank you for the info, Julien! Sorry, but it leads to another question. What is Red Book? When I build the playlist I want to burn from iTunes songs, I know there is a BURN button in iTunes that will start the process of burning. Sorry for being dense here, but where does Red Book come into play? If you could point me in the right direction to learn more, it would be much appreciated!
    Morod
    ON EDIT: Okay, Red Book is a CD standard. They talk acout CD-DA. WIll this work on a CD-R?
    I found the following on another Apple forum. So it is possible to do:

"I still choose non-DRM (iTunes Plus or Amazon) first when I can. But iTunes has some music the others don't.

In the long term, when DRM for music finally dies off completely, the solution is to burn to disc (or use some potential tool that will allow us to fake that) and re-import as a lossless format, preferably compressed like Apple Lossless. Now you've got the FULL quality of your original iTunes DRM purchase, identical, bit for bit. But no DRM! You've escaped the system. And still more compact than raw CD audio data. The downside is it will still take up more storage than MP4/AAC or MP3. But by that far-off day, storage will be cheap!

You can even do that now--but there's no pressing need, so I'll conserve space (and my time/effort) for now.

I grudgingly accept DRM--from Apple--in certain cases for now. But I won't forever!"

Morod

9. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Why does everyone insist on overcomplicating a simple issue? You have always been able to burn iTunes collections on to garden-variety CD's and play them in any standard CD player, whether in your home, car, PC or wherever. I've done it dozens of times without a second thought to have traveling music, compilations for friends, etc.

Just create a playlist in iTunes, pop in any CD-R and burn. Just make sure that under Preferences>Advanced, you have the selections to your needs. That's it.

Attached Files:

10. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

You can burn iTunes tracks to a cdr drm free. However, each iTunes song is limited to 7 burns.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Okay if the OP wants to BACKUP, then the back up feature is best since you can store a lot of songs, but of course you can't play it on a CD player.

If you burn it to a CD as audio then yes it will be DRM free, but if you want to import it again, you need to rerip it and it will suffer even more audio loss due to compression.

Also don't forget to back it up, you need to use the backup function so it retains thats the information that you bought it; if you burn to an audio, the purchase information is not retained and it's as if you downloaded the music illegally and never bought it.

No each playlist is limited to 7 burns which means if you want to buy the same playlist just create a new one with a different name and drag and drop the songs into the new one.

12. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

Thanks for the help everyone!

Sorry for the trouble, but I am new at this and simply wanted to burn to a CD so I can play the music I purchased in my car. I have never downloaded music (or anything else) without paying for it, I just wanted to be able to use the music I did pay for.
    Thanks again!
    Morod

13. bberry41 macrumors newbie

MP3 tune converted on ITunes

I want to burn a song to a CD and have converted a MIDI to MP3 through ITunes. But when I tell it to burn, it doesn't recognize. Is there a way to do this?

14. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

Thanks for the help everyone!
    It was too dang easy to be honest! I especially like iTunes being able to print cover art and songlists for CDs that are burned! :)
    Morod

15. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

no offence but do u have a deck in ur car or a stock cd player?

16. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

I have a CD deck in my car, and now I can take my tunes with me! Just makes it more convenient than trying to drive around with an iMac in the front seat, ya know? :D
    Morod

17. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Well that will be good to have your tunes in your car!

Attached Files:

18. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

Lol i was going to say most of them have aux so u can hook your ipod up in it but i guess its kinda a hassle since my brother almost killed me trying to do that :p