burning mkv file to dvd

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eternlgladiator, Apr 2, 2011.

1. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I've go a .mkv file that I'd like to burn to a dvd so I can watch it on a tv rather than just my computer. The file is about 7 GB so I know I'll need a dual layer disc, which I have. The question I have is what can burn this type of file? I have a few different programs that I can use including iDVD, Toast, Quicktime, Burn, and a couple others. I'm guessing I'll have to some sort of file conversion but since the .mkv file is relatively high quality I'd like to use a process that will lose the least amount of quality. I know I'm going to lose some just by going to dvd either way. I did some searching around and everything I've found is from at least 2 years ago and doesn't seem to apply what's readily available now. I thought I'd try to find some more current help.

Thanks in advance.

2. simsaladimbamba

As .mkv files usually use some MPEG-4 codec like H.264 or x.264, and video DVDs use MPEG-2 as codec, the .mkv will be transcoded anyway, thus the 7GB .mkv file does not mirror the transcoded file size, as you can get 90 minutes of good quality video onto a video DVD using a Single Layer DVD.
    Or do you just want ti burn the file onto a DVD and then watch it on the TV, which can play .mkv files?
    Have you tried connecting your Mac to the TV yet?
    How to: Connect a MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro to a TV

3. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Ok, I might be reading too far into your post so correct me if I'm wrong here. You're saying that by converting my mkv file, which is mpeg4 to dvd (mpeg2) the file will shrink such that it will fit onto a single layer dvd without the need for compression. If that's the case will I lose half the quality? It sounds like I may be stuck in that boat either way.

Usually what I do is just use toast or burn to put an avi file on a dvd with some sort of simple menu so it can be watched in any dvd player around my house or wherever.

Is there a simpler process of putting the mkv file onto a dvd as such without converting and losing quality or do I need that middle step to get to mpeg2 and then to dvd?

Thanks sim

4. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Does anybody else have any ideas? I've been trying to get this for three days now. I've tried a few conversion programs and nothing seems to work.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

6. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I think I worked it out with handbrake. Burning a copy now. I'll see if I end up with a coaster or a usable copy. I really hope the latter because the dual layer dvd's are spendy.

7. pismobrat macrumors regular

Hey Consultant

Where do I get an adaptper?

Does it work like adding speed bullet holes to my car?