Burning .MOV files/P2P Client/Backup Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tydog07, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Tydog07, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011

Tydog07 macrumors 6502

Hello, I just got my MBP yesterday and love it so far, but here are some problems I have incured thus far:

I have Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac, there are only 4 programs (besides those communicator and skydrive programs), what gives? No MS Publisher or MS Onenote? And I would never use MS Outlook over mail. What should I use instead of Publisher to design different types of documents and is Evernote a worthy replacement for Onenote? I have downloaded it but yet haven't given it a try just yet.

I have downloaded Better Touch Tool, but how to I turn the right click into a right click? I'm still having troubles with that.

As far as resizing windows, is there an app or system setting that can maximize the size of a program window each time it opens, or some other similar alternative?

I have a Hi-Res screen, and sometimes I have problem with eyestrain, where can I turn up the system fonts just a little bit and keep Safari from going back to it's original font each time I reopen it?

I think I messed with the energy savings, is it guaranteed that every time I close the lid on my MBP, it'll go into hibernate? And how do I set it so that I have to login with my password once I close the lid or leave for a set amount of time?

Thanks in advance, I'll post more questions as I come across problems, so far, I'm loving the Mac experience!

EDIT: I changed the name of the thread so that people who know more about my current problems would be enticed to read!

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You can require a password on sleep in Sys Prefs > Security > General.

Word has "Publishing View" which is similar to Publisher (although I don't use either myself so I don't know how they compare).

I've never used Better Touch Tool or had font size issues so I can't help you there.

3. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

If you go to system prefs-->trackpad you can check the box where it says 'secondary click' and choose a corner (bottom right is where most put it), so right click has nothing to do with BTT. However, you can assign it somewhere else using BTT if you want.

4. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

In Microsoft Excel on the tool ribbon at the top you will see a box and it usually says 100%. If you click on that box you will see a percentage and you can click on any percentage to increases or decrease the size of what you see on the screen. So if you want to see things larger increase the percentage.

In Microsoft Word, on the bottom right of the window, usually opens with set at 100% which is in the middle of the slider. Move the slider button to the right to increase the size, to the left to decrease.

The Publisher mode in Word 2011 works a lot like Microsoft Publisher in Windows. Many of the same features are there. I used to use Publisher 2010 before getting my Mac and I haven't come across any features missing yet. Everything I was able to do in Publisher prior to the Mac I am able to do in Word for the Mac, although there was a slight learning curve. Just keep trying things out.

As for a One Note replacement, Evernote is a great application and works across all platforms. My hope though is that Microsoft will bring One Note to the Mac. The fact that they made it to iOS is a glimmer of hope that they might. I didn't really use One Note that much, but I could see it's potential and I think it would be excellent on the Mac.

As for Outlook, well Microsoft blew it with the Mac version. Can't seem to sync it easily with my iPad or iPhone so it's useless to me. It works fine if all I want to use it for is mail, but the native Mail program from Apple does a great job at that. I was a big user of Outlook in Windows, even had Plan Plus for Microsoft Outlook installed. Loved having my calendar, tasks, email, contacts, notes, etc all in one place rather than spread out over several apps. But am now used to using the several apps that sync seamlessly to my iOS devices.

5. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

My preference is to use a 2 finger tap as Right Click (Secondary Click).
    System Preferences - Touchpad - Check "Secondary Tap" in teh Two Fingers Section.

I use BetterSnapTool rather than BetterTouchToll (Same developer). THis is smaller and simpler, and I never used any of the gestures anyway. THe Snap Resizing was the only feature I wanted...

There's probably an app that does this, but OS X will remember the size and position of each Apps windows from the last time you close it, so if you are always use an app maximized, it should also reopen maximized.

QUOTE=Tydog07;12846335]
    I have a Hi-Res screen, and sometimes I have problem with eyestrain, where can I turn up the system fonts just a little bit and keep Safari from going back to it's original font each time I reopen it?[/QUOTE]

Safari - Preferences - Appearance

QUOTE=Tydog07;12846335]
    I think I messed with the energy savings, is it guaranteed that every time I close the lid on my MBP, it'll go into hibernate? [/QUOTE]

As far as I know, you can't really stop the MBP from sleeping, unless you have plugged in an external monitor. I don't think there is any differentiation between Sleep/Suspend/Hibernate in OS X as there is in Windows. The system will go into deeper sleep modes depending on how much battery remains. If I don't touch my MBP over a weekend, it will still be 'sleeping' on Monday. If it's a 3 day weekend, it will have hibernated by Tuesday.

6. Tydog07 thread starter macrumors 6502

It took me a couple minutes, but I found it! I also opened Word again and saw that a lot of the same templates and features are included from Publisher!

I found it, and now use it, thanks!

As far as Microsoft Apps go, I had no problem resizing them, but adjusting the text size in Aperture and in Safari would be helpful.

Safari - Preferences - Appearance

QUOTE=Tydog07;12846335]
    I think I messed with the energy savings, is it guaranteed that every time I close the lid on my MBP, it'll go into hibernate? [/QUOTE]

As far as I know, you can't really stop the MBP from sleeping, unless you have plugged in an external monitor. I don't think there is any differentiation between Sleep/Suspend/Hibernate in OS X as there is in Windows. The system will go into deeper sleep modes depending on how much battery remains. If I don't touch my MBP over a weekend, it will still be 'sleeping' on Monday. If it's a 3 day weekend, it will have hibernated by Tuesday.[/QUOTE]

Good to know, thank you! I know I'm forgetting a question right now, but I'll definitely ask it later.

7. Tydog07 thread starter macrumors 6502

What is a good P2P client for Mac? I also use Bittorrent right now for my torrents, is there a more Mac friendly program?

8. badtzwang macrumors regular

uTorrent is better than the Bittorent client ... plus its also a very lightweight program

9. Tydog07, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011

Tydog07 thread starter macrumors 6502

What about a P2P program?

And if I want to burn my raw .MOV files from my iMovie events onto a dvd disc, what is the best app to do that with? I don't necessarily need the files to play on a DVD player once on the DVD, but just as raw backup files to have, thanks in advance!

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

BitTorrent is P2P. Can you be more specific?

Just insert a blank DVD and drag the files onto its icon.

11. Tydog07 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was thinking something along the lines of limewire, and is it really that easy to burn a DVD? I've been using Windows way too long! :rolleyes: