Burning multiple YouTube files to DVD: PAL/NTSC proble

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by annk, Jul 19, 2009.

1. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

i occasionally burn files off YouTube for my father, who is not in good enough shape to sit in front of a computer screen or deal with a laptop in bed.

This has always gone fine, but this time I'm getting a message in Popcorn that the files are a mixture of NTSC and PAL, and the program won't burn the disc. I've tried choosing VCD as the option, but no dice.

I know I can convert the files so they're all one format, but there are so many that it would take forever to sort through them and convert. I'd rather find a work-around, if one exists. My father has a DVD player that plays both NTSC and PAL, so I'd really love to avoid converting.

Right now I'm importing all the files to iMovie HD, in hopes that I'll be able to burn from there. It's a looooong import time, so in the meantime I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has other ideas.

2. AVR2 macrumors 6502

I don't think that any DVD-Video authoring software will allow you to burn a disc comprised of a mix of PAL and NTSC material; you will have to convert everything to one format or the other. I think the DVD-Video standard insists that discs be single-format.

The way around it would be to burn a DVD-Data disc instead of a DVD-Video disc, but that would require that your father has a DVD player capable of playing the "raw" YouTube files. They're MP4, aren't they?

3. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

The files are mp4, that's right. I think actually his machine might be able to play those - I'll check it out.

The weird thing is that I've burned discs for him of YouTube stuff before, with no problem. I guess I've just been lucky so far, only picking files that - without my realising it - were all either PAL or NTSC.