burning photo cd--need help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alainr, Sep 22, 2008.

1. alainr macrumors regular

i am trying to burn a cd w/6 photos. i tried using iphoto. i exported the photos to the desktop. inserted a blank cd.
    dragged the files onto it.
    clicked on burn cd in finder;
    it says to insert a cd; there was one already in.
    another time i inserted one at this point.

the message to insert a cd stays on the screen. it does not burn.
    i got a message that it did not recognize the CD.
    itried it w/ a dvd and had the same problem.

i wont makemy deadline!!!
    help!
    i tried burning from elements 6 but cld not find an option in the program to do so.
    help!
    sandy

2. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Try Burn using Disk Utility.

Then there's Quickburn (free) which is a simplified burn app similar to Toast.
    http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Automat...ick-Burn.shtml

You may have a problem with the brand of CD, but it's unlikely.

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Isn't there an option to burn directly from iPhoto?
    What kind of CD-R are you using to burn to?

4. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Yes, there is, Sandy's tried that. I too get the 'Please Insert a Blank Disk', even though I've just done that. I used two different brands of disk, both CD-R, also a different optical drive. No joy. I'll try repair permissions later. I note also that the Blank Disk icon doesn't mount to the desktop - I always thought it did that. Toast knows the disk is there, and I have 'show CDs' checked in Finder options.

5. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

6. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

I want to correct myself. This what you do.

1) If you want to burn whole album select it. If not create a new album and put pictures you want to burn into it.

2) Insert blank DVD or CD

3) in iPhoto the burn options should appear at the bottom.

7. Skald macrumors member

Skald

You can burn from iPhoto; another question

Actually, you CAN burn from iPhoto. Select an event or an album (or choose edit, then Select None, if you want to back up everything), then go to "Share," then "Burn" (the last item in Share's pull-down menu. Then you are prompted to insert a CD.

Can anyone help me with this other problem?

For some reason, while this successfully burns the photos onto a CD, it does NOT include edited titles, and the "descriptions" I have appended to each photo. You get the original names (e.g. IMG_1234.jpg). If you have saved a second version of a photo, perhaps cropped or color adjusted, both the original and the modified photos are burned.

Any help would be appreciated.

8. skybolt macrumors 6502a

The "burn" in iPhoto is for making backups etc. The resulting file will only be readable by iPhoto. Thus the filenames, etc. rather than the titles.

I'd do the export to the desktop thing, then use Toast or the other suggested app above and burn that way. Or disk utility.

9. thegilly macrumors member

And BTW, it seems to be standard on the Mac that you tell it what you want to burn and THEN it asks for a disc. Doesn't work work like Windows where you give it the disc first and then tell it what you want burned. I'm sure there's some thoroughly-researched, human interface guideline compliant reason for this reasoning. :)

10. Skald macrumors member

Skald

Thanks for the clarification, Skybolt

When I take photos of certain events, I sometimes send the photos to the sponsoring organization for their archives or newsletters, and I want the "description" to stay with the photos. You know, names of people depicted, date and place, etc.

I did the export-to-folder routine, and if I am right, the "descriptions" I added are not attached to each photo, just to the index page of thumbnails?